1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For help, A simple question about topology

1. Jun 3, 2007 #1
    Is a continuous 1-1 and onto mapping from the Euclidean 3-space to itself a homeomorphism? i.e. Is its inverse also continous?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2007 #2
    Yes, a function is bijective if it is a continuous 1-1 and onto mapping. If a function is bijective it's easy to show it has an inverse. A homeomorphism is basically a bijection between topological spaces. Since euclidean space is a topological space, it is a homeomorphism.

4. Jun 3, 2007 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A function is bijective if it's 1-1 and onto. That's all - it has nothing to do with continuity. A homeomorphism is a continuous bijection whose inverse is continuous as well. A continuous bijection between topological spaces may as well have an inverse that isn't continuous.

In calculus it's usually proved that a continuous bijection f:R->R is a homeomorphism. I don't think this generalizes to R^3 though. IIRC, there's a theorem that says if f:R^n->R^n is a continuous bijection that has first-order partials and nonzero jacobian, then its inverse is continuous.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  5. Jun 3, 2007 #4
    Yes, that's it. My error is due to looking at the question and retyping some of it too quickly, sorry.

6. Jun 4, 2007 #5
    In general a continuous bijection with a compact domain will have a continuous inverse.

7. Jun 4, 2007 #6
    What theorem is this? I don't recall it from calculus.

8. Jun 4, 2007 #7

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It usually comes before the inverse function theorem. It's probably stated as: a function that is continuous and 1-1 on an interval has a continuous inverse.

9. Jun 4, 2007 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

for continuous bijective maps from R to R it is easy, since they are monotone.

for R^2 it isn't coming to me immediately yet. i think you have to prove the map is proper somehow, if it is.

10. Jun 4, 2007 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok. let p map to q (R^2-->R^2). want to show f^(-1) continuous at q.

take a disc centered at p, and by jordan curve theorem, the circular boundary maps to a closed loop that has q in its interior.

thus the image of the compact disc around p is a compact "disc" around q, with q in the interior.

then the continuous inverse of the restriction of the map to the compact disc, is also continuous as a map on all of R^2.

so yes.

whew! what about R^3? I guess th same is true, i.e. the image of a ball around p should map to a ball around q, and use the same argument.

so this seems to use the jordan theorem to argue that the image of a sphere separates R^3 into an inside and an outside. (provided the map was defined and bijective on all of R^3.)

i hope this is true. look up the generalized jordan curve theorem. [yep, hatcher, p.169.]

so this question is simple but difficult.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  11. Jun 4, 2007 #10
    Sorry, delete it. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  12. Jun 4, 2007 #11
    I know it, a contiunous bijection with a compact domain and a Hausdorff range is a homeomorphism. Unfortunately, here R^3 is not compact.

13. Jun 4, 2007 #12
    In calculus it's usually proved that a continuous bijection f:R->R is a homeomorphism. [/QUOTE]

I think it can be proved by the following steps:
    step 1: show that f is monotone
    setp 2: a monotone continous function has continouse inverse.

Is the sketch of proof right? and can you provide a detailed proof of this proposition.

14. Jun 4, 2007 #13
    What is a Jordan curve

Let C be the circle x^2+y^2=1 in R^2, f is continous bijection from R^2 to R^2, is f(C) a Jordan curve? and what is a Jordan curve? what is its definiton?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook