For Republicans: Who would you liek to see become president?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Same question to you all. I have no opinion on this one, but after Bush leaves, who would you like to see in office and Why?

Woops... that should be LIKE not liek :-/

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
John McCain.

I like McCain. He seems like a level headed good guy and stands up to bush.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is the purpose of this thread to find out who Republicans would like to see elected or to find out which Republican most people would like to see elected?

I prefer Chuck Hagel or John McCain. Both are solidly conservative Republicans, but have a more realistic view about war than Bush has had. Hagel would be my first choice, but he needs to learn how to talk on TV if he wants to stand any chance of even being considered for the nomination.

That doesn't mean I'll definitely be supporting either one. It's entirely possible that Rudy Giuliani just might be the best candidate to ease the pressure that's been building between the two parties. Sometimes, it's more important to have the best president for the times than the best president, generically.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Preliminarily, without having looked into either with enough depth just yet, I'd say it's a toss up between Giuliani and Mike Huckabee. Both have their red flags, though.

Michael Savage (OK OK Im kidding.) I'd have to go with Rudy Giuliani. McCain is a bit to moderate for my taste.

SOS2008
Gold Member
The more I've heard Rudy Giuliani speak these past couple of years, the less and less I like him. He's a slime bag who caters to the religious right and neocons. Moderates and liberals won't go for that.

Of the front runners, the lesser of evils for me would be John McCain.

Lou1024 said:
Michael Savage (OK OK Im kidding.) I'd have to go with Rudy Giuliani. McCain is a bit to moderate for my taste.
I never thought I'd hear a reference to Michael Savage here, thanks Lou! You know, it actualy wouldn't be that bad if he was president :surprised !!

SOS2008
Gold Member
Anyone who isn't in cahoots with the Bush administration would be better.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
SOS2008 said:
The more I've heard Rudy Giuliani speak these past couple of years, the less and less I like him. He's a slime bag who caters to the religious right and neocons. Moderates and liberals won't go for that.

Of the front runners, the lesser of evils for me would be John McCain.
It's downright scary. Mitt Romney also has to cater to the religious right. The influence they have developed in the Republican Party within the last decade is very disturbing. Former Republican Senator (and former Episcopal priest) John Danforth has some interesting views on that: St Jack and the Bullies in the Pulpit

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Anybody that wants to win the republican nomination is going to have little choice but to pander to some extent to the religious right, so you've just eliminated every candidate, SOS. If what you want out of Giuliani is the words that please you, I guess you're not going to get that, but it's hard to argue with his results. What he did with the city of New York is the envy of every major city in the US.