Force Exerted Non-Uniform Circular Motion

In summary: If down is positive and you asked for the force on the bucket exerted by the tension then it will be positive.
akgtdoskce

Homework Statement

A bucket of water (10kg) is swung vertically. Radius is 1 m. It takes 1 second to spin the bucket in a full circle.
a. How much force has to be exerted at the top of its motion?
b. How much force must be exerted at the bottom?

Homework Equations

vtop=sqrt(gr)
top: Ftension= mv2/r - mg
bottom: Ftension= mv2/r + mg
ac=v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a fairly straightforward question, but I'm getting different answers. I'm not sure if this exerted force means the same thing as force of tension. If so, then I have force at the top = 0 N, force at the bottom is 588 N.
If v=sqrt (9.8) as the minimum velocity at the top, then conservation of energy gives 1/2mv2top+mg2r=1/2mv2bottom.
Thus, velocity at the bottom of the bucket's motion is 7 m/s. Using the equation F=mv2/r+mg, I get the 588 N answer.
However, when I initially completed this in class, I was told that 490 N was the correct answer for part b. Does this somehow have to do with the 1 second time provided in the original problem, such as assuming constant velocity? I've been thinking over this for quite a while and I just keep getting more confused.
Thanks for any help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
akgtdoskce said:
I'm not sure if this exerted force means the same thing as force of tension.
Yes.

akgtdoskce said:
I have force at the top = 0 N
You are not told it is the minimum speed to maintain circular motion, so you've no basis for saying the tension is 0 there.

akgtdoskce said:
Does this somehow have to do with the 1 second time provided
Yes.
akgtdoskce said:
such as assuming constant velocity?
No, it won't be constant velocity.
Start again, but taking the tension at the top to be some unknown value. Derive everything else in terms of that, including the time to complete a swing (that's the hard bit). Then set that time equal to 1.

haruspex said:
Start again, but taking the tension at the top to be some unknown value. Derive everything else in terms of that, including the time to complete a swing (that's the hard bit). Then set that time equal to 1.
Okay, so if I use 1/2mv2top+mg2r=1/2mv^2bottom, and top: Ftension= mv2/r - mg bottom: Ftension= mv2/r + mg I get Tension at bottom = mv^2(top)/r+4mg/r+mg, which simplifies to Tbottom=Ttop + 6mg.

As for the time, I'm not really sure what to do with that. T=2*pi*r/v, but that is constant velocity.

I used a vertical circular motion simulator to help me visualize the situation, but it returns tension at the top as -296.78 N. Is this even possible?

Last edited:
akgtdoskce said:
Tbottom=Ttop + 6mg.
Correct.
akgtdoskce said:
As for the time, I'm not really sure what to do with that.
Hint: SHM.
akgtdoskce said:
tension at the top as -296.78 N. Is this even possible?
Depends what sign convention was used. If up is positive and you asked for the force on the bucket exerted by the tension then it will be negative.

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the concept of "exerted force". In this context, I would assume it refers to the force that is applied to the bucket to keep it in circular motion. This force is provided by the tension in the string that is holding the bucket.

Now, let's look at the two points in the bucket's motion - the top and the bottom. At the top, the bucket is at its highest point and is momentarily at rest before it starts to move downwards. This means that at the top, the velocity is 0 m/s and the acceleration is equal to the centripetal acceleration, which is given by ac = v^2/r. This also means that the net force acting on the bucket at the top is equal to the centripetal force, which is provided by the tension in the string.

So, at the top, the force exerted is equal to the centripetal force, which can be calculated using the equation Ftension = mv^2/r. Substituting the given values, we get Ftension = (10 kg)(0 m/s)^2/(1 m) = 0 N.

At the bottom, the bucket has reached its maximum velocity and is at its lowest point. This means that the acceleration is 0 m/s^2 and the net force acting on the bucket is equal to the weight of the bucket, which is given by mg. So, at the bottom, the force exerted is equal to the weight of the bucket, which is 10 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 = 98 N.

I'm not sure how you got the value of 588 N for the force at the bottom. It seems that you have used the equation Ftension = mv^2/r + mg, which is not correct. This equation is used when the object is moving in a horizontal circle, where the centripetal force is provided by the tension in the string and the weight of the object is acting downwards. In this case, the bucket is moving in a vertical circle, so the weight of the bucket is not contributing to the centripetal force.

To summarize, the force exerted at the top of the bucket's motion is 0 N, and the force exerted at the bottom is 98 N. I hope this helps clarify the concept and gives you a better understanding of the problem.

1. What is force exerted in non-uniform circular motion?

Force exerted in non-uniform circular motion is the amount of force that is applied to an object that is moving in a circular path at a varying speed. This force is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity and keeping it in a circular path.

2. How is force exerted calculated in non-uniform circular motion?

The force exerted in non-uniform circular motion can be calculated using the formula F = m x v^2/r, where F is the force exerted, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the object moves at a varying speed along the circular path. In non-uniform circular motion, the object experiences a change in velocity and acceleration, whereas in uniform circular motion, the velocity and acceleration remain constant.

4. How does centripetal force play a role in non-uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In non-uniform circular motion, the centripetal force changes in magnitude and direction as the speed of the object changes. This force is always directed towards the center of the circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of non-uniform circular motion?

Some examples of non-uniform circular motion in everyday life include a car driving around a curved road, a rollercoaster moving along its track, and a satellite orbiting the Earth at varying speeds. These objects experience a change in velocity and acceleration as they move along their circular paths.