Force on 30kg cart from 50kg cart when pushed together

  • Thread starter Thread starter Drake M
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Drake M
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Determine the force acting on a 30kg cart by a 50kg cart if the 30kg cart is pushed into the 50kg cart with a force of 120N.
m1=30kg
m2=50kg
Fa=120N

Homework Equations


FNET=ma
FNET=sigmaF

The Attempt at a Solution


Im really confused on where to start here. I was thinking of finding acceleration then substituting in for an FNET equation to find F of 2on1. Any tips on where to start would be helpful thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Drake M said:

Homework Statement


Determine the force acting on a 30kg cart by a 50kg cart if the 30kg cart is pushed into the 50kg cart with a force of 120N.
m1=30kg
m2=50kg
Fa=120N

Homework Equations


FNET=ma
FNET=sigmaF

The Attempt at a Solution


Im really confused on where to start here. I was thinking of finding acceleration then substituting in for an FNET equation to find F of 2on1. Any tips on where to start would be helpful thanks.
Is this the exact question, or have you paraphrased it?
I'm guessing we are to take the carts as initially in contact already, we are to ignore friction, and the 120N is a force applied to the 50kg cart.
If so, yes, consider acceleration. What will the acceleration be?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drake M
Yes i have paraphrased it because it was c) of a question. To find acceleration would I combine the masses of the carts since theyre in contact? If I did then it would be
FNET=sigmaF
FNET=120N
FNET=ma
a=m/FNET
=80kg/120
.666m/s/s.
 
Whoops...a would equal 1.5m/s/s.
So now that I have acceleration. would I just multiply it by the mass of the 50kg cart?
 
Drake M said:
Whoops...a would equal 1.5m/s/s.
So now that I have acceleration. would I just multiply it by the mass of the 50kg cart?
Maybe, but instead of just asking me, how about you try your own analysis? Pick one of the two carts and consider all the forces acting on it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drake M