Forces and kinetic energy problem

In summary, Shawn's kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the total mass of Shawn and his bike, and v is their constant velocity of approximately 2.08333 m/s. By plugging in the values, we get a kinetic energy of 94.4014 J. This concept can be further explored by looking at the resources provided.
kza62
1. Homework Statement
Shawn and his bike have a total mass of 43.5 kg. Shawn rides his bike 1.3 km in 10.4 min at a constant velocity.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2
What is Shawn's kinetic energy?

2. Homework Equations
F = ma
Ff = u * Fn
Fn = mg
avgV = x/t
x = 1/2(Vf + Vi)t

3. The Attempt at a Solution

ok so I converted km to m and min to s:
x = 1300m
t = 624s
and then i used avgV = x/t so avgV = ~2.08333 m/s

i have no idea what kinetic energy is, this hasn't been covered in class yet but I wanted to get ahead because I think I am coming down with the flu. The answer to the problem is supposed to be 94.4014 J but I have no idea how to set this problem up to get this. Please help me! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
oooo ok so KE = 1/2mv^2
alright now i can finish this
thanks!

What is the difference between force and kinetic energy?

Force is a push or pull on an object, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Force can change an object's motion, while kinetic energy is a result of an object's motion.

How do forces affect an object's kinetic energy?

Forces can change an object's kinetic energy by either increasing or decreasing its speed. A greater force will result in a greater change in kinetic energy, while a smaller force will result in a smaller change.

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, heat, and sound. This conversion is known as the principle of conservation of energy.

How can we increase an object's kinetic energy?

The simplest way to increase an object's kinetic energy is by increasing its speed. This can be achieved by applying a greater force to the object or by reducing any opposing forces, such as friction.