1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foreign Language for Graduate School

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1

spb

Hello all, particularly graduate students and PhDs,

I'm planning on learning a foreign language, mostly for fun, but I would like to learn a language used by many of my colleagues in mathematics programs. I've not yet entered graduate school (for mathematics, of course), so I was wondering what the general demographics were for said programs. The obvious choice would seem to be a Chinese dialect, but Vietnamese also stands out as being useful here. Which of those would you recommend? Would you recommend another? I know a lot of mathematics research has been done in Russia and Germany, but I think I want to learn a language to speak, not to learn.

Thank you,
    -spb

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2
    Many (maybe even most?) graduate level math programs require you to learn either German, French, or Russian. So, I'd recommend one of those.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook