Foreign Language over the summer?

In summary, the speaker, a math major finishing their junior year, is considering taking a foreign language course over the summer. They plan to apply to graduate schools in math and realize that knowledge of French, German, or Russian is required. Their school offers intensive first-year French or German courses, but they are also considering studying Chinese or another language. They are looking for advice on which language to take, as long as it is interesting and counts towards their goals.
PieceOfPi
I am a math major who is about to finish his junior year. I am still not so sure what I want to do over the summer (besides starting on my senior thesis project), and since there aren't that many summer courses that might be interesting for me to take, I was wondering if it would be good idea to take a foreign language course over the summer. I am planning to apply graduate schools in math next year, and I realized some knowledge of French, German, or Russian is required at most places. Over the summer, my school offers intensive first-year French or German sequences (no Russian though). If I don't restrict myself to what graduate schools might want, I can also study Chinese or possibly some other languages. While I would like to study foreign language so it would "count" for something, I certainly wouldn't mind taking these courses as long as they are interesting (I am already fluent in Japanese and English, so studying another foreign language doesn't appeal me that much unless there is a strong reason for me to study one).

Let me know if you have any advice. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't care which language you take, you may as well take one that's required for grad school. Most schools have really basic requirements, so figure out how many courses you need to fulfill the reqs and take it from there.

What are the benefits of learning a foreign language over the summer?

Learning a foreign language over the summer can have many benefits, such as improving cognitive skills, increasing job opportunities, and enhancing cultural understanding. It can also be a fun and enriching experience.

What are some effective ways to learn a foreign language over the summer?

Some effective ways to learn a foreign language over the summer include taking a language course, immersing yourself in the language by traveling to a country where it is spoken, practicing with native speakers, and using online resources and apps.

How much time should I dedicate to learning a foreign language over the summer?

The amount of time you should dedicate to learning a foreign language over the summer depends on your goals and current level of proficiency. However, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours per day practicing and studying the language.

How can I stay motivated to learn a foreign language over the summer?

Staying motivated to learn a foreign language over the summer can be challenging, but here are some tips to help: set achievable goals, find a study buddy or join a language group, track your progress, and reward yourself for your accomplishments.

Are there any specific languages that are better to learn over the summer?

There is no specific language that is better to learn over the summer. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and goals. However, some languages may be more widely spoken or in demand, which could affect your decision. It is important to choose a language that you are passionate about and will be motivated to learn.