Formal integration of Heissenberg equation?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand how a certain answer was obtained from the Heissenberg equation for a_{k,\lambda}(t), using the given Hamiltonian. The speaker also mentions the possibility of a_{(k,\lambda)} and a^\dagger_{(k,\lambda)} following an orthogonality relation, but asks for more information and a reference to the paper.
climbon
Hi,

I am reading a paper and can't get the same answer they do, they have;

[tex]
H= -i\hbar \sum_{\lambda} \int dK (a_{(k,\lambda)} g_{(1;K,\lambda)} \sigma_{1}^{+} e^{-i(\omega_{k}- \omega)t} - H.C )
[/tex]

Then states they do a formal integration of the Heissenberg equation for [tex] a_{k,\lambda}(t) [/tex] using the above Hamiltonian, they get;

[tex]
a_{k,\lambda}(t) = a_{k,\lambda}(t_{0}) + \int_{t_{0}}^{t} dt^{'} g^{*} \sigma_{1}^{-}(t^{'}) e^{-i(\omega_{k}- \omega)t^{'}}
[/tex]

Could anyone help me as to how they get this answer from the Heissenberg equation...you be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does [itex] a_{(k,\lambda)}[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger_{(k,\lambda)}[/itex] follow some kind of orthogonality relation?
In fact, you get the correct result if [itex]a_{(k,\lambda)}\cdot a_{(q,\lambda')}=0[/itex] and [itex]a_{(k,\lambda)}\cdot a^\dagger_{(q,\lambda')}=\delta(k-q)\delta_{\lambda\lambda'}[/itex].

However, I'm just guessing.

It would be much easier to help you, if you'd give the reference to the paper!

1. What is the Heisenberg equation?

The Heisenberg equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of quantum mechanical operators. It is named after physicist Werner Heisenberg and is crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

2. What is formal integration?

Formal integration is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations. It involves finding a general expression for the solution of the equation, rather than a specific numerical solution. In the context of the Heisenberg equation, formal integration is used to find the time evolution of quantum mechanical operators.

3. Why is it important to formally integrate the Heisenberg equation?

The formal integration of the Heisenberg equation allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems over time. This is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, and has numerous applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

4. What are the limitations of formal integration of the Heisenberg equation?

Formal integration of the Heisenberg equation is only applicable to systems that can be described by quantum mechanics. It also assumes that the system is closed, meaning it is not affected by external factors. In reality, most systems are open and are influenced by their surroundings, making formal integration only an approximation.

5. What are some examples of the application of formal integration of the Heisenberg equation?

Formal integration of the Heisenberg equation has numerous applications in quantum mechanics. It can be used to calculate the behavior of particles in quantum systems, such as the energy levels of atoms, the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field, and the behavior of photons in a cavity. It also has applications in developing new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.