Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formal integration of Heissenberg equation?

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am reading a paper and can't get the same answer they do, they have;

[tex]
    H= -i\hbar \sum_{\lambda} \int dK (a_{(k,\lambda)} g_{(1;K,\lambda)} \sigma_{1}^{+} e^{-i(\omega_{k}- \omega)t} - H.C )
    [/tex]

Then states they do a formal integration of the Heissenberg equation for [tex] a_{k,\lambda}(t) [/tex] using the above Hamiltonian, they get;

[tex]
    a_{k,\lambda}(t) = a_{k,\lambda}(t_{0}) + \int_{t_{0}}^{t} dt^{'} g^{*} \sigma_{1}^{-}(t^{'}) e^{-i(\omega_{k}- \omega)t^{'}}
    [/tex]

Could anyone help me as to how they get this answer from the Heissenberg equation...you be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2
    Does [itex] a_{(k,\lambda)}[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger_{(k,\lambda)}[/itex] follow some kind of orthogonality relation?
    In fact, you get the correct result if [itex]a_{(k,\lambda)}\cdot a_{(q,\lambda')}=0[/itex] and [itex]a_{(k,\lambda)}\cdot a^\dagger_{(q,\lambda')}=\delta(k-q)\delta_{\lambda\lambda'}[/itex].

However, I'm just guessing.

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It would be much easier to help you, if you'd give the reference to the paper!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook