Formating fractions

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello! I am new to Mathematica and I need some help with the code I attached. Can someone tell me how to pull the variables out of the fraction i.e. instead of ##\frac{7 p_1 p_2}{2 \cdot 5}## I would like ##\frac{7 }{2 \cdot 5} p_1 p_2## (I need this to make it look better for when I import it to Latex). Also, is there a way to factor out the common denominator of all the fractions? Thank you (and I am sorry if the questions are trivial)!

Attachments

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello! I am new to Mathematica and I need some help with the code I attached. Can someone tell me how to pull the variables out of the fraction i.e. instead of ##\frac{7 p_1 p_2}{2 \cdot 5}## I would like ##\frac{7 }{2 \cdot 5} p_1 p_2## (I need this to make it look better for when I import it to Latex). Also, is there a way to factor out the common denominator of all the fractions? Thank you (and I am sorry if the questions are trivial)!
\frac{7 }{2 \cdot 5} p_1 p_2 → ##\frac{7 }{2 \cdot 5} p_1 p_2##

\frac{3}{24}+\frac{5}{36} = \frac{1}{6}\left( \frac{3}{4}+\frac{5}{6} \right) → ##\frac{3}{24}+\frac{5}{36} =\frac{1}{6}\left( \frac{3}{4}+\frac{5}{6} \right)##

\frac{7 }{2 \cdot 5} p_1 p_2 → ##\frac{7 }{2 \cdot 5} p_1 p_2##

\frac{3}{24}+\frac{5}{36} = \frac{1}{6}\left( \frac{3}{4}+\frac{5}{6} \right) → ##\frac{3}{24}+\frac{5}{36} =\frac{1}{6}\left( \frac{3}{4}+\frac{5}{6} \right)##
I am not sure what you mean... I know how to do it by hand in latex. I need for Mathematica to do it automatically.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am not sure what you mean... I know how to do it by hand in latex. I need for Mathematica to do it automatically.
Sorry, I was hasty in my reply. I just stick the expression in ExportString bracketed with double quotation marks.
This
ExportString[1/6 (3/4 + 5/6), "TeX"]
will give you
\frac{19}{72}
but this
ExportString["1/6 (3/4 + 5/6)", "TeX"]
will give you
\frac{1}{6}\left(\frac{3}{4}+\frac{5}{6}\right)

Sorry, I was hasty in my reply. I just stick the expression in ExportString bracketed with double quotation marks.
This
ExportString[1/6 (3/4 + 5/6), "TeX"]
will give you
\frac{19}{72}
but this
ExportString["1/6 (3/4 + 5/6)", "TeX"]
will give you
\frac{1}{6}\left(\frac{3}{4}+\frac{5}{6}\right)
Could you please tell me where to put the ExportString and where to put the quotation marks? I tried to put them around For ... //Export expression but it doesn't work (for example it messes up with the quotation marks in the expression itself). Thank you!

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Here is a screen shot of what I used for your example. I have not used this in a For loop. You may have to experiment a little bit to get it to do what you want. I assume you have gone to Mathematica Help and looked at TeX / Export.

Fraction.png

Attachments

Here is a screen shot of what I used for your example. I have not used this in a For loop. You may have to experiment a little bit to get it to do what you want. I assume you have gone to Mathematica Help and looked at TeX / Export.

View attachment 221769
Yes it works with a simple expression like that, but now with what I have. I am not sure where to put the quotation marks for example... I attached a SS of what I get with and without quotation marks and it doesn't work

Attachments

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't know what you have and I have a vague idea of what you want to do, that's why I suggested that you read the Help documentation and experiment on your own. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable in these matters can help you.