Former Chicago police officer wants his job back

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, Anthony Abbate was convicted of felony assault and battery after a Feb 2007 incident where he severely beat a female bartender who had asked him to leave. He received a two year suspended sentence and was fired. Now he wants his job back. Should he get it?No, he should have served prison time. As for re-instating him, it should be out of the question, but as the article suggests, he may have a legal case! If he does get his job back, I can't imagine his supervisors would risk putting him in contact with the public. Felons can be cops? He should never again be in an official position in any public-safety field
SW VandeCarr
Anthony Abbate was convicted of felony assault and battery after a Feb 2007 incident where he severely beat a female bartender who had asked him to leave. He received a two year suspended sentence and was fired. Now he wants his job back. Should he get it?

http://chicagoist.com/2010/01/13/anthony_abbate_to_judge_gimme_a_sec.php

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nah, there's other things he could be doing

highest-paying-dirty-job-1.jpg

what do you think...

dacruick said:
what do you think...

I think he should have served prison time. As for for re-instating him, it should be out of the question, but as the article suggests, he may have a legal case!

Last edited:
If he does get his job back, I can't imagine his supervisors would risk putting him in contact with the public.

Felons can be cops??

He should never again be in an official position in any public-safety field. Period.

He deserves to be homeless for the rest of his life.
Not only should he not have any power over anything, it scares me that there's more cops out there just like him, using their badge as a get out of jail free card.

Cops shouldn't be given leniency on committing crimes. They should even be punished more harshly than other people. If I attack you, you can defend yourself. If a cop attacks you, what do you do?

It gets worse. The Police wanted to file misdemeanor charges, but the DA stepped in and elevated the charges. The bar tender was the second person he assaulted that day at that location. Abbate was a 12 year veteran and was known to be violent and drink excessively.

As far as his legal case; I didn't think a convicted felon could become (or remain) a police officer. However, his lawyers obviously wouldn't be wasting their time unless there was something to be gained: if not reinstatement, possibly some kind of settlement. Lawyers don't work for nothing. Possibly they're being paid by the PBA (police union).

It's been said that in some places, cold nuclear fusion is easier than removing a veteran public service employee.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/Chicago.Police.Anthony.2.335957.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Proton Soup said:
nah, there's other things he could be doing

highest-paying-dirty-job-1.jpg

This is unfair to all the decent refuse collectors out there!

Chi Meson said:
This is unfair to all the decent refuse collectors out there!

actually, it's kind of funny. the web page where i found that listed garbage collection as one of the top 10 best paying "dirty jobs". probably has to be a government job though, most of the collection here has been replaced with private companies.

He shouldn't even be considered for a job in any kind of law enforcement job, even mall cop should be out of the question for him. If you're a convicted felon you lose your right to own or possesses a firearm. Maybe they could issue him a nerf gun if he does get his job back.

He probably wants reinstatement in some sort of desk job so that he can hold onto his heath insurance and retirement benefits. Still, would anybody want to know that an unstable individual was working as a 911 dispatcher, trainer, or other public-safety job? Not me. He had his chance and blew it badly.

Proton Soup said:
actually, it's kind of funny. the web page where i found that listed garbage collection as one of the top 10 best paying "dirty jobs". probably has to be a government job though, most of the collection here has been replaced with private companies.

Actually, from the same website I would recommend Dirty Job #1: Crime Scene Cleaner. He would get to be close to his cop buddies, and make himself useful at the same time. The pay isn't too shabby either - $75,000.

turbo-1 said:
He probably wants reinstatement in some sort of desk job so that he can hold onto his heath insurance and retirement benefits. Still, would anybody want to know that an unstable individual was working as a 911 dispatcher, trainer, or other public-safety job? Not me. He had his chance and blew it badly.

Most felony convictions will prevent you from getting a public safety job, but upon your request they can review your case individually. I'm not sure if you guys would want an ex-felon who did home roberries working in EMS. Afterall, its not just what the public safety guys get to see in your house, its also access to your date of birth, SSN#, home address, etc.

Lets see, in last 5 years I've seen over 8000 patients. Thats access to over 8000 different date of births, social security numbers, home addresses, etc.

Proton Soup said:

"Private companies," right! Around here, private sanitation companies means ... you know, Sopranos, right? And if the towns handle sanitation, they then transfer it to, guess who? And whenever budgets are squeezed, guess what always seems to be "off the table"?

there's NO way he should get his job back! that would be ludicrous!

1. What led to the former Chicago police officer losing his job?

The former Chicago police officer, Jason Van Dyke, was charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of Laquan McDonald in 2014. He was also found guilty of 16 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm. These charges ultimately led to his termination from the police force.

2. What is the process for a former police officer to try and get their job back?

In order to try and get his job back, Jason Van Dyke must go through an appeal process. This involves filing an appeal with the Police Board, which will then hold a hearing to determine if his termination was justified or not. If the board rules in his favor, he may be reinstated to the police force.

3. Has a former Chicago police officer ever successfully gotten their job back?

Yes, there have been cases where a former Chicago police officer has successfully gotten their job back. However, it is not a common occurrence and each case is unique. It ultimately depends on the specific circumstances and evidence presented during the appeal process.

4. What are the arguments for and against reinstating a former police officer?

The arguments for reinstatement may include the officer's clean record and years of service, as well as the potential loss of their livelihood. On the other hand, the arguments against reinstatement may include the severity of their actions and the potential risk to public safety if they were to return to the police force.

5. What are the potential outcomes of the former Chicago police officer's appeal?

The potential outcomes of the appeal include: 1) The Police Board upholds the termination and the former officer remains off the police force. 2) The Police Board overturns the termination and the former officer is reinstated. 3) The Police Board modifies the punishment, such as a suspension or demotion. It is also possible for either party to appeal the decision to the Circuit Court of Cook County.