Formula for sum of x(1/2)^x from x=1 to infinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter island-boy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinite Summation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
island-boy
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
[tex]\sum_{x =1}^{\infty} x (\frac{1}{2})^x[/tex]

is there a formula for this, like for infinite geometric summation?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Given x(1/2)^x, can you think of some other quantity that you can apply something well known to to get x(1/2)^x, or perhaps more suggestively x(1/2)^{x-1}?
 
Explaining that a little, consider it as a special case of
[tex]\sum_{x =1}^{\infty} x y^x[/tex]

If you are familiar with generating functions for sequences, multiplying every nth term by n is a standard operation.
 
I think, I get what you are trying to say...

since
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{2})^x = 1[/tex] by the infinite geometric summation formula

then, is it correct that:
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty} x(\frac{1}{2})^x = x[/tex] ?
 
Last edited:
No. Try replacing 1/2 with a variable like y as Orthodontist suggested, and differentiate the sum with respect to y.
 
oh, I think I got what you are trying to say:
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty} y^x = \frac{y}{1-y}[/tex]
differentiating, I get:
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}x y^{x-1} = \frac{1}{(1-y)^2}[/tex]
multiplying by y,
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}x y^x = \frac{y}{(1-y)^2}[/tex]
so,
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}x (\frac{1}{2})^x = 2[/tex]

Is this correct?
 
great! thanks for your help, matt, orthodontist, statusX