Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula to assess wear due to friction in sheaves/pulleys

1. Apr 20, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone and greetings from a new member.

I'm looking for informations about how to estimate the wear due to friction of a rope as it passes through a pulley. Couldn't find anything really consistent about the subject. I looked at the capstan and Archard equations but didn't manage to link one to the other.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks a lot

A. R.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Search on ' tribology friction wear ' .

To solve actual problems of wear rate you generally need data from previous experience or lab tests or from tests on a prototype of the device being worked on .

There are handbooks which give wear rate formulas and a selection of wear data for common material combinations but they are no substitute for solid data from tests .

At least one high tech company I know of conducted extensive experiments to determine wear characteristics of many materials running against each other under a range of loading and lubrication conditions .

Generally most effort in practical design goes on selecting known material combinations and running conditions that will minimise wear during service life .

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    Hi Nidum, thanks for your answer !

I search on tribology and found some interesting stuff. But as you said, it depends a lot on material combinations and tests results. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Now here's another question, not directly linked to friction wear on pulleys. Does the traction force on a winch rope depend on how many times the rope is spooled on the winch drum ? In other terms, is it necessary to have a minimum length (or minimum contact area) of rope spooled on the drum to avoid sliding ? If so, I would like to know how to determine this required length of spooled rope to get a given traction force.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted