1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula to find sunrise/sunset time difference

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a physical Science class we were mistakenly given the wrong homework question. The question " Relative to the Sun. Earth turns 15° in longitude per hour of time, At the latitude of most of the United States , this coresponds to a distance of about 1200 km. If there is a town A, 240 km west of town B, and both towns are at the same latitude, approximately how much earlier or later does the sun rise at town A than town B ?

I do no remember how I came up with this answer nor do I know how to even start approaching it. As I said we were given this question by mistake and so we have not covered a solution in class. I did have the right answer of approx 9.12 minutes but I do not remember how I arrived at this answer. Can anybody share with me a formula I can use to come to the correct answer to this question.

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

This is simple proportion. If the distance is 1200 km, Sun will rise exactly 1 hour earlier. If there is 600 km, Sun will rise half an hour earlier. And so on.

BTW: 9.12 doesn't look like a correct answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?