Formulation of a linear programming model

In summary, the conversation was about formulating a variant of the time-constrained traveling salesman problem where multiple salesmen need to visit cities with time constraints. The objective was to determine the number of salesmen needed for a given graph. The question was if this problem can be framed as a linear programming problem with an objective function and constraints, to which it was concluded that it is not possible due to the complexity of the problem.
-A-
Ok, so the title didn't allow me to be too descriptive. Basically, I'm trying to formulate a variant of the time constrained traveling salesman problem. I read a paper "An Exact Algorithm for the Time-Constrained Traveling Salesman Problem" by Edward Baker which formulated this problem of a traveling salesman, who has to visit every given city or node in the graph, with the constraint of each node having an entry and exit time, between which the visit must take place. The objective function minimized the total distance.

My question was what if I had a number of salesmen and I wanted them to visit the cities, each of which have some time constraints. I want to find out how many salesmen I will need for a given graph.

I understand this can be seen as a variant of the vehicle routing problem, My problem is, is it possible to frame this as a linear programming problem with an objective function and constraints?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's a generic way to map the discrete distance function for your problem into a, not only continuous, but linear function over parameters.

As you're trying a discrete to continuous I don't think there is a "natural" way to do this.

Given what I recall about the computational complexity of the traveling salesman problem and the simplicity of linear programming solutions,
I'm going to guess that the short answer to your question is an unqualified NO!.

1. What is a linear programming model?

A linear programming model is a mathematical technique used to determine the best possible outcome of a given situation, taking into account various constraints and limitations. It involves optimizing a linear objective function, subject to a set of linear constraints.

2. How is a linear programming model formulated?

A linear programming model is formulated by identifying the decision variables, determining the objective function, and defining the constraints. The objective function represents the goal that needs to be maximized or minimized, while the constraints represent the limitations or restrictions on the decision variables.

3. What are the benefits of using a linear programming model?

The main benefit of using a linear programming model is that it allows for efficient and effective decision making in complex situations. It also helps in identifying the optimal solution, considering all the constraints and limitations. Additionally, it can be easily solved using various mathematical techniques and software tools.

4. What are the limitations of a linear programming model?

One of the limitations of a linear programming model is that it assumes a linear relationship between the decision variables and the objective function, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also assumes that all the constraints are known and can be expressed in a linear form, which may not always be feasible.

5. What are some real-world applications of a linear programming model?

A linear programming model has various applications in different fields, such as business, economics, engineering, and finance. It can be used for optimizing production processes, resource allocation, portfolio management, transportation and logistics planning, and many other decision-making problems.