Linear Programming: how to identify conflicting equations

In summary, Chris is reading about the Simplex Method and how it can be used to solve a Linear Program. He is also learning about optimization methods and how they can be used to make everyday decisions more efficient. He has found an interesting video on YouTube about how to optimize a book reading list or vacation options using Azure Notebooks.
cjs94
I'm reading about the Simplex method to solve a Linear Program. If a program is rejected as being infeasible, is there a method to identify which equations are causing it to be infeasible and a technique for reducing the program in an optimal way? (I'm not sure what 'optimal' is exactly, but my guess would be removing the fewest equations.)

My understanding is that each equation can have an artificial variable an and that the test for feasibility is that all an must be zero. If so, that leads to some questions:
  1. It would seem obvious then that all I have to do is identify and remove all equations where an > 0. Is that fair?
  2. Is is possible for one or more conflicting equations to end up with an = 0?
  3. Is it possible that an equation, while not causing a direct conflict, constrains two other equations such that they conflict? In that case, removing the first, single equation would be a better solution.
Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
There may be a lot of combinations of equations whose removal would make the problem feasible. Just because one running of the Symplex method has a particular set of an > 0 does not mean that the set is unique. If you are looking for any reduced set that would be feasible, removing those an > 0 constraints should do it. But that is very arbitrary and may not be satisfying.

There may be some packages with R & Python, which could visualize what is happening between the equations. I am learning about optimization methods, myself. Something to think about - if this is based on a real world situation, then which constraints Can be changed in a reasonable way?

I came across this video, describing using pulp in Python, with optimizing some everyday decisions such as a book reading list or vacation options. Pretty interesting. I downloaded her notebooks from GitHub and ran some for myself. I use Azure Notebooks.

1. What is Linear Programming?

Linear Programming is a mathematical technique used to optimize a linear objective function, subject to a set of linear constraints. It is commonly used in business and economics to make decisions that will maximize profits or minimize costs.

2. How do you identify conflicting equations in Linear Programming?

Conflicting equations in Linear Programming occur when two or more constraints are contradictory and cannot be satisfied simultaneously. This can be identified by graphing the equations and looking for regions where the lines intersect or overlap, indicating that the constraints cannot be met together.

3. What are the consequences of conflicting equations in Linear Programming?

If conflicting equations are present, it means that there is no feasible solution to the problem. This indicates that either the problem was not formulated correctly or there are limitations that need to be addressed in order to find a feasible solution.

4. How can conflicting equations be resolved in Linear Programming?

Conflicting equations can be resolved by revisiting the problem formulation and adjusting the constraints or objective function. Alternatively, additional constraints can be added to eliminate the conflicting equations and find a feasible solution.

5. How important is it to identify conflicting equations in Linear Programming?

Identifying conflicting equations is crucial in Linear Programming as it ensures the validity and feasibility of the problem. If conflicting equations are not addressed, the solution obtained may not accurately reflect the optimal solution, leading to suboptimal or even infeasible decisions.