Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forum software bug, or need a reboot?

Tags:
  1. Aug 17, 2014 #1

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Yesterday I found that whatever post in some threads I replied to, it always included the OP's opening post in my reply instead of the particular post I was wanting to reply to. I've had to manually copy-and-paste text as a workaround.

Also, when making a quick reply I've a few times noticed this warning (which I ignore because it's wrong/meaningless):
    You have selected 1 post that is not part of this thread. Quote this post as well, or deselect this post.
    In that context I don't even know what it means.

I'm using an Android tablet.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is because you have selected a message to multi-quote. The warning is telling you exactly what has happened. It's not wrong, it's not meaningless, and it's not a bug. Deselect that message and the warning will go away.

4. Aug 18, 2014 #3

NascentOxygen

LOL. It's a feature!

5. Aug 18, 2014 #4
    Any bug or inconvenience that we can't fix is by default, a feature :D

6. Aug 18, 2014 #5

Nugatory

Is it possible to customize the text of that "You have selected 1 post that ......" warning? As worded, it's not especially helpful, it took me quite a while to figure out what it meant. A few words along the lines of "Here's a link to how the multi-quote feature works" would be more friendly.

7. Aug 18, 2014 #6
    Indeed it would be more helpful, but we won't alter it at this time for reasons that will soon be revealed.

8. Aug 18, 2014 #7

Borek

bugorfeature.gif

(And be READY for more).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook