Fossil of Josephoartigasia monesi, a one-tonne Pleistocene rodent

  • Thread starter Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    fossils
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
neutrino
Messages
2,093
Reaction score
2
The newly-identified species is the greatest-known member of the order Rodentia and by comparison makes the biggest rodent alive today, the 60-kilo (132-pound) capybara, look like a pygmy shrew.

...

Measuring a whopping 53 centimetres (21 inches), the skull has massive incisors several centimetres long.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080116/sc_afp/sciencepalaeontologyrodent
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
hypatia said:
Sometimes, I'm sort of glad there is evolution.

:smile:
 
I saw a documentary on that last huge rat they found. Amazing at how much we are finding. When I was little there were only about a dozen known dinosaurs. :wink:
 
Evo said:
I saw a documentary on that last huge rat they found. Amazing at how much we are finding. When I was little there were only about a dozen known dinosaurs. :wink:
I'm 2 billion years old. When I was young, scientists said the Earth was formed 2.5 billion years ago. Now they say it's 4.5 billion years ago.
 
They must have had big sewers in them days