1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Fourier transform of the components of a vector

1. Dec 16, 2016 #1
    Given the Fourier conjugates ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{k}## where ##\vec{r} = [r_1,r_2,r_3]## and ##\vec{k} = [k_1,k_2,k_3]## , are ##r_1## /##k_1##, ##r_2##/##k_2##, ##r_3##/##k_3## also Fourier conjugates, such that:
    ##\begin{equation}
    \begin{split}
    f(\vec{r})&=[f_1(r_1),f_2(r_2),f_3(r_3)]
    \\
    F[f(\vec{r})]&=F[f_1(r_1),f_2(r_2),f_3(r_3)]
    \\
    F[f_1(r_1),f_2(r_2),f_3(r_3)]&=[\hat{f}_1(r_1),\hat{f}_2(r_2),\hat{f}_3(r_3)]
    \\
    [\hat{f}_1(r_1),\hat{f}_2(r_2),\hat{f}_3(r_3)]&=\hat{f}(\vec{k})
    \end{split}
    \end{equation}##

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I believe the answer is yes, that e.g. ## k_x ## and ## x ##, etc. are Fourier conjugates, by themselves, just as ## \omega ## and ## t ## are Fourier conjugates. In the multi-dimensional Fourier transform, the 3 coordinates are treated independently, and the time/frequency is also treated independently for a 4-dimensional F.T. ## \\ ## editing... One additional comment I could add is that for the Fourier transform theory and equations such as the convolution equation to work in F.T. space, there must be a linear response (editing) of the output vector field to the input vector field. e.g. in linear circuit theory, if you write ## \tilde{V}_{out}(\omega)=\tilde{m}(\omega) \tilde{V}_{in}(\omega) ## you must have ## V_{out}(t)=\int m(t-t')V_{in}(t') \, dt' ##. The last integral equation is indicative of a linear temporal response.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted