FOV for galilean vs keplerian telescope

In summary, a Galilean telescope has a smaller field of view compared to a Keplerian telescope due to the placement of the exit pupil on the inside of the telescope. However, this may not affect the light collecting ability for certain applications. Both designs are afocal and the placement of the lens pair is determined by the sum of their focal lengths.
fsonnichsen
It is my understanding that a Galilean telescope has a smaller field of view (FOV) than a Keplerian. Doing some "pencil" ray tracing on a sheet of paper I don't seem to get this result. Can anyone suggest a source that works the math for the FOV of both types?

thanks
Fritz

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but while searching I did come across this interesting website. Give it a look and see if it helps you.
http://www.scitechantiques.com/Galileo-Telescope-Anomalies-optics/

If you look towards the bottom you will see some ray tracing with an arrow pointing to the galilean design. It appears that the smaller field of view is due to the light coming out of the eyepiece the opposite way that it does using a normal eyepiece. AKA the incoming light that enters the eyepiece towards the bottom is refracted even more towards the bottom. With a positive lens as an eyepiece the light entering the bottom of the eyepiece is refracted UP. This results in a very small FOV with a negative lens as an eyepiece, but with the ability to move your eye around to see approximately the same FOV that one sees with a positive eyepiece. (According to the website)

Anyways, that's what I picked up from the site. I didn't do the math or ray tracing myself, so I can't guarantee it's correct.

Thanks. This page offers some interesting information. It confirms my suspicion that the FOV in this case is being measured including the eye pupil as part of the aperture / stop. FOV is somewhat vague to me, being rather aligned with cameras I think. At any rate from the standpoint of light collecting ability, I think the Kepler and Galileo systems are equal for a given objective lens. (I am using these constructs as a collimator to collect light into a PMT). The Galileo is, in practice, a bit easier to deal with on the bench since it is afocal.

Thanks for the post!
Fritz

fsonnichsen said:
<snip>The Galileo is, in practice, a bit easier to deal with on the bench since it is afocal.

Thanks for the post!
Fritz

Both Galilean and Keplerian designs are afocal. The essential difference is that the Galilean places the exit pupil on the inside of the telescope, while the Keplerian places it outside of the telescope. Thus, the Galilean design suffers from vignetting, reducing the field of view.

Its not clear if this impacts your application- if the angular FOV of each PMT is small (a few degrees), there may not be a difference.

Andy-just curious-- how is a Keplerain system afocal? Perhaps I am misusing the term.

In the Galilean system the concave lens basically forms a collimator in the case of infinitely distant objects, thus the resulting parallel beam does not have a focal point (and is easy to route around the optical bench since I am splitting into spectrometers etc).

To my understanding the Keplerian system has its convex eyepiece lens placed past the focal point of the objective, and re-converges the light to a focal point yes? Thus it is "focal".

I concur that there is not resulting difference in the light collecting ability of either system if the PMT has a linear response across its face. (In my final design I intend to forgo the 2nd lens completely)

Thanks!
Fritz

OK-makes sense
thanks
fs

1. What is the difference between FOV for galilean and keplerian telescopes?

The FOV, or field of view, is the amount of visible space when looking through a telescope. The main difference between galilean and keplerian telescopes is their design. Galilean telescopes use a convex lens as the objective lens, while keplerian telescopes use a concave lens. This results in a larger FOV for galilean telescopes, as they have a wider angle of view compared to keplerian telescopes.

2. Does the FOV affect the image quality of a telescope?

Yes, the FOV can impact the image quality of a telescope. A larger FOV can result in a wider field of view, but it can also cause distortions and decrease the sharpness of the image. On the other hand, a smaller FOV can provide a more detailed and clear image, but it may limit the amount of visible space.

3. Can the FOV be adjusted on a telescope?

Yes, the FOV can be adjusted on a telescope by changing the eyepiece. Different eyepieces have different focal lengths, which can affect the FOV. A longer focal length eyepiece will result in a smaller FOV, while a shorter focal length eyepiece will result in a larger FOV.

4. Is the FOV the same for all types of telescopes?

No, the FOV can vary depending on the type of telescope. In addition to galilean and keplerian telescopes, there are also other types such as newtonian, cassegrain, and dobsonian telescopes. Each of these designs can have a different FOV, depending on the focal length of the objective lens and the eyepiece used.

5. How does the FOV affect the viewing experience with a telescope?

The FOV can greatly impact the viewing experience with a telescope. A larger FOV can provide a wider perspective and allow for easier navigation of the night sky. However, a smaller FOV can provide a more detailed and clear image of celestial objects. The desired FOV will depend on personal preference and the specific target being observed.