Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fredholm Integral Eqn of the 2nd kind

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1

I need help finding the solution to the homogenous BVP. Normally I could do this but I'm lost on this one. [tex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}x(t)+\int^{\pi}_{-\pi}\sin(t-s)x(s)ds=0[/tex]. I'm hoping the only solution is the zero solution. If not, I need to know a method to find all solutions. I thought about using the Neumann series but the [tex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}x(t)[/tex] is messing me up. I don't know what to do. Any help will be appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2010 #2
    it's not the only solution.

Anything of the form
    [tex] x(t) = A \left( \cos(t) + \pi \sin(t) - \frac{(1 + \pi^2)t}{2 \pi} \right) + B [/tex]

as for all of the solutions, can't help there.

i got the one above by taking two more [itex]t[/itex] derivatives.
  4. Jun 4, 2010 #3
    Ok thanks. One question you said you got the solution by taking two l derivatives. Of what exactly. Did you guess at the solution, then checked to see if it worked by taking two derivatives. Or did you used a Fourier series expansion?
  5. Jun 4, 2010 #4
    I don't understand why you're calling it a boundary value problem but if it was an IVP, then the kernel is separable:

[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}+\sin(t)\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \cos(s) x(s) ds-\cos(t)\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin(s) x(s)dx=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}=\beta \cos(t)-\alpha \sin(t)[/tex]

since the integrals represent constants.

If I then integrate twice from 0 to t and let [itex]x(0)=x_0[/itex] and [itex]x'(0)=x_1[/itex] then back-substitute into the expressions for [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex], I get:

[tex]x(t)=\frac{2\pi^2\left(\sin(t)-t\right) x_1}{1+\pi^2}-\frac{2\pi \cos(t) x_1}{1+\pi^2}+t x_1+x_0+\frac{2\pi x_1}{1+\pi^2}[/tex]

This is called the "direct computation method" in "A First Course in Integral Equations" by A. Wazwaz
  6. Jun 5, 2010 #5
    It's an BVP since I have boundary conditions. x(-\pi)=0 and x(\pi)=0. I don't know anything about initial conditions. So I don't think I can do what you did.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook