Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freedom of press: Case Berlusconi

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    Italian prime minister was photographed during his travels. After the Italian press was forbidden to publish the pictures, the Spanish press did not have the same problem. Freedom of press triumphed this time. Power definitely has interesting perks.

Warning, images may be too much for too conservative.

[yeah, they are - link deleted]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jun 6, 2009 #3
    I can't see the difference.

5. Jun 6, 2009 #4
    - He's a man
    - He has money

Isn't this coming from his personal income (not from the government office)?

6. Jun 6, 2009 #5
    Power can be financial or administrative or both. However, the case was of course that he was able to forbid the publication of the photos in Italy. One needs more than money to do this.

7. Jun 6, 2009 #6
    I don't know what Media achieves by publishing these photos. Other case (which is different but nonetheless same thing):
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gZ3hhQqYS_WOLb2ltFyKWz2dupdwD98JKNHO1 [Broken]

And if this is really press freedom to publish stories about other people personal lives.

Had it been something like:

"UAE torture tape from ABC news." (requires youtube account)* but here's the story:
    http://www.uaetorture.com/index.php?page=nabulsi-s-story
    it would have made more sense.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Jun 6, 2009 #7
    Highly public and influential figures don't have the same privileges with their personal lives as others do. This is especially true for modern politicians. Politics is about character not substance. People have the right to know does the talk correspond with actions.

9. Jun 6, 2009 #8

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't that is quite correct. There are quite strickt laws against invasion of privacy in Italy (specifically designed to target paparazzi), and Berlusconi's lawyers simply managed to convince a judge that someone using a telephoto lens to photograph what was in fact a private party was indeed an invasion of privacy.
    Now, I am not saying that his power/influence wasn't a factor; but it was not a simple case of him just being able to control the media.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook