1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From Uranium isotope to thorium isotope

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    I need to complete the following sentence. If I think that electron capture or alpha decay does not occur in my decay process, I have to type a '0' (zero) in the appropriate box:

Converting an atom of the isotope Uranium (238-92) into an atom of thorium can be accomplished if an electron capture process occurs___times and an alpha decay occurs ___times. The resulting isotope has a mass number___ and an atomic number___ .

Initially I thought the right answers were: zero, one, 234, 90. But after I realized that I cannot say one times because times is plural. Is it only one right answer of there are different options? The resulting isotope has definitely a atomic number of 90, but I am not sure about the rest. Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2
    Your answers are quite correct. There is no other answer because there is no allowance for a beta decay, and electron capture processes would usually only happen with a proton-rich isotope (mass number lower than those of the most stable or abundant isotopes of the element).

If beta decays were allowed for, then "beta (-) decay occurs 2 times and alpha decay occurs 2 times ... 90 ... 230 ..." might be an alternative answer, but the question is simply not worded that way.

I think you should ignore the slightly ungrammatical "1 times" in a question like this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook