Frustrated about a minus in the result (D = RT question)

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
In summary, two hikers, Hiker A and Hiker B, went towards each other from two spots with a distance of 25 kilometers between them. Hiker A started at 7:00 AM and Hiker B at 7:30 AM. The speed of Hiker A was 1 kilometer per hour faster than Hiker B. They met at 9:30 AM. To find the rate of each hiker, the equation D = RT was used with the total distance of 25 kilometers. By equating the distances traveled by each hiker to 25, the rate of Hiker A was found to be 5 kilometers per hour and the rate of Hiker B was
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1) From two spots, whose distance between them is 25 kilometers, two hikers went towards each other: Hiker A and Hiker B
Hiker A went out at 7:00 AM
Hiker B went out at 7:30 AM

The distance of Hiker A was greater in 1 kilometer per hour than the speed of hiker B (the rates of the hikers are constant). The hikers met at 9:30 AM.

A) Find the rate of each of the hikers.

Homework Equations

D = RT

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1739/frus.jpg

I'm pretty sure x is 5, but I'm not sure why I'm getting the result in a minus. Should I worry about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Femme_physics said:
1) From two spots, whose distance between them is 25 kilometers, two hikers went towards each other: Hiker A and Hiker B
Hiker A went out at 7:00 AM
Hiker B went out at 7:30 AM

The distance of Hiker A was greater in 1 kilometer per hour than the speed of hiker B (the rates of the hikers are constant). The hikers met at 9:30 AM.

A) Find the rate of each of the hikers.I'm pretty sure x is 5, but I'm not sure why I'm getting the result in a minus. Should I worry about that?

Yes, you should worry about the minus sign.
It would imply that the bikers have to go backward and away from each other.
And that would be rather odd since they're supposed to meet. :)

Your table is fine! :smile:

Then what you did is say that the distances the bikers traveled are the same.
But this is not the case.

The problem says that the total distance of both bikers is 25 kilometers.
Can you set up an equation for that?

Last edited:
I wrote what you said down on paper and I will reply to you tomorrow evening (i.e. roughly 20 hours from now) after doing some pondering. Thank you ILS!

I may have approached this differently...

DA + DB = 25

Where D is just the distance traveled per person and equal to rate*time. I got a positive solution using this method - something for you to take a look at if you'd like.

Thank you, Omega Prime! I was ready to write a loooooooong explanation about all the things I tried at work until I read your reply :D Appreciate it! And I appreciate the exercise to my mind and making me think logically about D = RT problems, ILS!

Femme_physics said:
Thank you, Omega Prime! I was ready to write a loooooooong explanation about all the things I tried at work until I read your reply :D Appreciate it! And I appreciate the exercise to my mind and making me think logically about D = RT problems, ILS!

Hey :)

Yes, that was the equation I had in mind.
And I was kind of looking forward to a loooooooong thread about it. :smile:

So did you finish it?

Yes, I equated them both to 25

2.5(x+1) +2x = 25
turns out x =5

:)

Femme_physics said:

2.5(x+1) +2x = 25
turns out x =5

Yep! :smile:

I guess this is not going to be a looooooooong thread after all. :cry:

(Note that it is by coincidence that you got -5 earlier! :wink:)

gotcha ;) oh we'll have it long some other time, for sure :D I like 'em long!

Femme_physics said:
gotcha ;) oh we'll have it long some other time, for sure :D I like 'em long!

That would bring us to the next stage in the mathgasm cycle: must... learn... more! :)

Femme_physics said:

2.5(x+1) +2x = 25
turns out x =5

Swish! :wink:

I like Serena said:
That would bring us to the next stage in the mathgasm cycle: must... learn... more! :)

Yes indeed ;)

Omega_Prime said:
Swish! :wink:

Yessss indeed!

What does a minus in the result mean?

A minus in the result means that the value is negative. In the context of the D = RT equation, it indicates that the displacement (D) is in the opposite direction compared to the initial position.

Why did I get a minus in the result?

There could be several reasons why you got a minus in the result. One possible reason is that you made a mistake in your calculations. Another reason could be that the values you used for time (T) and/or speed (R) were negative, resulting in a negative displacement (D).

How do I handle a minus in the result in my calculations?

If the minus in the result is due to a mistake in your calculations, you should review your work and correct any errors. If the minus is a valid result, you can simply include it in your final answer. However, if you are looking for a positive displacement value, you can take the absolute value of the result to ignore the negative sign.

Can a minus in the result ever be a positive value?

No, a minus in the result will always indicate a negative value. In the context of the D = RT equation, the displacement (D) will always be in the opposite direction compared to the initial position if there is a minus in the result.

Is a minus in the result considered a significant figure?

Yes, a minus in the result is considered a significant figure. When performing calculations, it is important to maintain the same number of significant figures as the original values to ensure the accuracy of the result. Therefore, a minus sign should always be included as part of the final answer.