Full equation for acidified KMnO4 reacting with KI

  • Thread starter Thread starter new hand
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Writing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
new hand
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
I want to ask what is the full equation of acidified potassium permanganate and potassium iodide?

I have worked out the ionic equation...

2 MnO4- + 16 H+ + 10I- --> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O + 5I2-

How to write the full equation??

THanks
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is a typo - "-" at the end of the reaction equation (but otherwise it is OK).

new hand said:
How to write the full equation??

I don't think it is always possible (and actually rarely matters). In general - add counterions on the left side to make the solution electrically neutral (so start with KMnO4, HCl and KI), copy counterions on the right, try to pair them with anions on the right.
 
Your equation isn't balanced.
Can you work out its half-reactions?
 
war485 said:
Your equation isn't balanced.

It is balanced, it just contains a typo.

If it is not balanced - please tell us what is wrong.
 
ah yes sorry, it is balanced when the - on I2 is removed. I have nothing more to add.