1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Full Excitation of Molecular Vibration Modes

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the relationship Cp/R as a function of Temperature, approximate the number of fully excited vibration modes at a given temperature for a given molecule.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I have looked through several text books and many web sites, but I can't find this type of problem discussed anywhere. vaguely similar problems I have found only assume given excitation states. It seems like a relatively obscure problem, but I assume there is a generic solution process.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

I assume you are talking about degree of freedom, the total ways in which the molecule can exhibit motion, seeing you mentioned Cp/R.

Anyway, can you give a sample molecule on which you would like to attempt this question on?

4. Sep 13, 2012 #3
    Let's think specifically about Cp/R

What is the value of Cp/R for a monatomic gas? is it the same for all monatomic gases?

Now what is it for a linear rotor? Is it the same for N2, O2, CO2?

What about I2 -- that value is a little bit different -- why?

What is the value of Cp/R for water? Methane? Could you tell whether SO2 was linear or bent by looking at Cp/R?

How and why does Cp/R differ for a really floppy molecule like 1-propanol and a really rigid molecule like benzene?

And if you can work your way through all of that you should have a really good idea about the relationship between Cp/R and "fully excited" vibrational modes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook