How to Convert Between Joules and Kilojoules in Quantum Theory

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
csinger1
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the size of the quantum involved in the excitation of a molecular vibration of period 20 fs. Express the results in joules and kilojoules per mole.

Homework Equations



ΔE = h/t

The Attempt at a Solution


I converted fs to seconds and used the above equation to figure out the answer in terms of joules, no problem. I have checked my answer for this, so I know it is correct. I also know what the answer is in terms of kilojoules per mole, but I can't for the life of me figure out exactly how to convert between the two. It doesn't seem as though I'm given enough information in the problem to do this conversion. I assumed that I would need to use the fact that 1000J=1kJ, but that doesn't seem to match up with the answer sheet that I was given.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know energy required to excite one molecule. How many molecules in a mole?