How to Convert Between Joules and Kilojoules in Quantum Theory

In summary, to calculate the size of the quantum involved in the excitation of a molecular vibration of period 20 fs, the equation ΔE = h/t can be used. The result can be expressed in joules and kilojoules per mole. To convert between the two, the fact that 1000J = 1kJ can be used, taking into account the number of molecules in a mole.
csinger1

Homework Statement

Calculate the size of the quantum involved in the excitation of a molecular vibration of period 20 fs. Express the results in joules and kilojoules per mole.

Homework Equations

ΔE = h/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted fs to seconds and used the above equation to figure out the answer in terms of joules, no problem. I have checked my answer for this, so I know it is correct. I also know what the answer is in terms of kilojoules per mole, but I can't for the life of me figure out exactly how to convert between the two. It doesn't seem as though I'm given enough information in the problem to do this conversion. I assumed that I would need to use the fact that 1000J=1kJ, but that doesn't seem to match up with the answer sheet that I was given.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know energy required to excite one molecule. How many molecules in a mole?

That was so simple! Thanks!

1. What is Quantum Theory Conversion?

Quantum Theory Conversion is the process of converting classical systems and principles into quantum systems and principles. It involves understanding the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level and applying it to larger systems.

2. How is Quantum Theory Conversion used in science?

Quantum Theory Conversion has been used in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and computer science. It has been applied to develop new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography, and to better understand the behavior of particles and molecules at a subatomic level.

3. What are the main principles of Quantum Theory Conversion?

The main principles of Quantum Theory Conversion include superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously, entanglement describes the correlation between particles even when separated, and uncertainty refers to the inherent unpredictability of quantum systems.

4. What are the potential implications of Quantum Theory Conversion?

The potential implications of Quantum Theory Conversion are vast and still being explored. It has the potential to revolutionize computing, communication, and information processing. It could also lead to advancements in materials science, energy production, and medicine.

5. What are the challenges facing Quantum Theory Conversion?

One of the major challenges facing Quantum Theory Conversion is the difficulty in accurately measuring and controlling quantum systems. These systems are extremely delicate and can easily be disrupted by external influences. Additionally, the principles of quantum mechanics can be counterintuitive and challenging to understand and apply in practical applications.