1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function, f, with domain (-infinity, + infinity)

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    I was working on the following problem from a textbook. The textbook has no answer. I have included my solution - I am not sure whether it is correct Any ideas and or solutions? (guidance)

Question:
    Suppose that f is any function with domain (-infinity, +infinity)

a) Does the function g defined by g(x) = f(x) + f(-x) have any special symmetry?

My solution

A function f which satisfies:
    f(-x) = -f(x) is symmetrical about the horizontal axis. This is also:
    f(x) + f(-x) = 0
    or we could substitute values of x giving non zero solutions for:
    f(x) + f(-x) = g(x) (some other function)

Therefore g(x) = f(x) + f(-x) has symmetry about horizontal axis?

Any guidance appreciated.

Regards,
    Adam

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2
    No. f(x)+f(-x) is an even function: it's symmetric about the vertical axis.

4. Jan 30, 2010 #3
    Try and work backwards: take an arbitrary function [tex]g[/tex] defined on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and try to create a function [tex]f[/tex] s.t. [tex] f(x) + f(-x) = g(x)[/tex] for all x. What assumptions must be made about [tex]g[/tex] in order to do this?

5. Jan 30, 2010 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Just use the definition of odd and even functions for this type of problem. Without making any assumptions about f(x) (apart from the given domain) simply write g(-x) and compare it with g(x). That is,

g(x) = f(x) + f(-x) : given

So g(-x) = f(-x) + f(-(-x))
    = f(-x) + f(x)
    = g(x).

And g(-x) = g(x) is the definition of an even function.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  6. Jan 31, 2010 #5
    I figured it was an even function after I had posted this.

Thanks to both some_dude and uart for posting two different approaches to the problem. I understand this problem a lot better and have solved some similar now.

Thanks again,
    Adam

7. Feb 1, 2010 #6

Landau

Science Advisor

To test yourself, a new question: do the same for g(x)=f(x)-f(-x).

8. Feb 2, 2010 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, f(x)+ f(-x) and f(x)- f(-x) are almost the "even and odd parts" of the function f(x). e(x)= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2 and o(x)= (f(x)- f(-x))/2 are even and odd functions that add to give f(x). Of course, if f(x) is an even function to begin with, o(x) will be 0 and e(x)= f(x). If f(x) is an odd function, e(x)= 0 and o(x)= f(x).

The exponential function, ex, is neither even nor odd. Its even and odd parts are [itex]\frac{e^x+ e^{-x}}{2}= cosh(x)[/itex] and [itex]\frac{e^x- e^{-x}}{2}= sinh(x)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook