Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function vs mapping vs transformation

1. Jul 21, 2007 #1
    During learning linear algebra, I have met at least three items (kind of action in my own word): function, mapping and transformation. What are the relation and difference among them?

e.g. Given y=f(x), we can say f map x to y, f transform x to y and the function of x is y.

In saying the function of x is y, we sometimes also say y is a function of x. And in this case, we can also write y=y(x). In y=y(x), the second y is actually the action of the function. I get a little confused by the expression y=y(x). But there seems no confusion when using "mapping" instead of function. Is this why you choose " mapping" etc in learning further mathematics...?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no difference - some just tend to be used in different situations. One would never say a 'linear function' but would use linear map and linear transformation interchangably.

As for y=y(x), you should not think of that as an equation, but as an assignment (we are saying y is y(x)).
  4. Jul 22, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the clarification. But "linear function" is the word I often meet, even in Shilov's book (Linear algebra,Dover 1977).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?