Functional group in aspartame molecule

In summary: This is not present in the molecule. Amide needs a direct connection of carbonyl to nitrogen. This is not present in the molecule.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

which functional group is present in aspatame molecule?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

why the carbonyl group COO- is not present in the diagram? I can find it in the diagram

Attachments

• IMG_20140626_011203[1].jpg
    IMG_20140626_011203[1].jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,656
Physics news on Phys.org
desmond iking said:

Homework Statement

which functional group is present in aspatame molecule?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

why the carbonyl group COO- is not present in the diagram? I can find it in the diagram

-COO- is not carbonyl, its for ester. Carbonyl is simply -CO-.

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
-COO- is not carbonyl, its for ester. Carbonyl is simply -CO-.

yes , i noted . but can you try to answer my question please? thanks... the C0- grouo is present in the molecule

desmond iking said:
yes , i noted . but can you try to answer my question please? thanks... the C0- grouo is present in the molecule

No, it is not present. Rather, you have -CONH- which is an amide and -COO-, which is an ester.

It is always a part of other functional group, not a functional group alone (like in acetone).

But to be honest I don't like the question - carbonyl is so characteristic it retains some of its properties even when it is a part of the larger functional group, so I agree the way question is constructed can be confusing and misleading.

The question would have been more clear is they said ketone rather than carbonyl. I would say the C=O group in amides, esters, and carboxylic acids all count as carbonyls, but they don't count as ketones.

Pranav-Arora said:
No, it is not present. Rather, you have -CONH- which is an amide and -COO-, which is an ester.

but, the general sturucture of amide is as follow, am i right? but i can't find this continuous in the diagram? can you be more specific , helping me by circling out the part so that i can see it more clearly?

Attachments

• JJFJ.png
    JJFJ.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 747
What you have drawn is not an amide, it is an alpha aminoacid.

Amide needs a direct connection of carbonyl to nitrogen.

1. What is a functional group?

A functional group is a specific group of atoms within a molecule that is responsible for the characteristic chemical reactions and properties of that molecule.

2. What are the functional groups present in aspartame?

The functional groups present in aspartame are an ester group, an amide group, and a carboxylic acid group.

3. How do the functional groups in aspartame contribute to its sweetness?

The ester group in aspartame is responsible for its sweetness, as it is able to interact with specific taste receptors on the tongue. The amide and carboxylic acid groups also play a role in enhancing the sweetness of aspartame.

4. Are there any health concerns related to the functional groups in aspartame?

There have been some concerns raised about the potential health effects of aspartame, including its functional groups. However, numerous studies have been conducted and have not found any significant adverse effects on human health.

5. Can the functional groups in aspartame undergo any chemical reactions?

Yes, the functional groups in aspartame can undergo chemical reactions, such as hydrolysis, which can break down the molecule into its component parts. However, these reactions do not occur under normal conditions and do not pose any health risks.