Fundamental Group of (X,p): D^2\{(x,0) : 0<=x<=1}

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Mikemaths
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
I am doing some revision and trying to do fundamental groups and I was wondering if the fundamental group of the following space is {1} i.e. all loops based p are homotopic.

fundamental group of (X,p) = D^2\{(x,0) : 0<=x<=1} where p=(-1,0)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Just consider a loop [itex]f : [0,1] \to X[/itex]. This is homotopic to the constant map c(t)=p by the usual straight-line homotopy [itex](t,i) \mapsto (1-i)f(t) + ip[/itex]. You can verify yourself that this works.

The intuitive idea when dealing with fairly nice subsets of [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] is that the fundamental group is trivial if and only if the space has no holes (since then you can wrap a loop around that hole).
 
Ok thanks I get that as I thought.

I am trying to show that the fundamental group of a product of Topological Spaces is isomorphic to the product of fundamental groups:

pi1(X x Y , (p,q)) -> pi1(X,p) x pi1(Y,q)

I can understand this but want to construct the isomorphism and am struggling?
 
Just construct it in the obvious way. Given two loops [itex]f_1 : I \to X[/itex] and [itex]f_2 : I \to Y[/itex] you can construct a path [itex]I \to X \times Y[/itex] where [itex]t \mapsto (f_1(t),f_2(t))[/itex]. Conversely given a path [itex]f : I \to X \times Y[/itex] you can construct paths [itex]I \to X[/itex] and [itex]I \to Y[/itex] by projecting onto X and Y. You can show that both of these give homomorphisms of the fundamental groups and that they are inverses.