1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Further Studies Outside of Physics?

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    I will be graduating soon with a BSc as a physics major. I have done well in my physics program, but over the past couple years I have been continually losing interest in my physics studies. I do not want to do further studies in a physics program at graduate school. I was wondering if anyone who has completed a BSc as a physics major, but have gone on to further studies in programs outside of physics, can share their experience. Any program outside of a traditional physics one would suffice. I am currently looking at my other options now that I am finished undergrad and hearing what paths others have taken would be great. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2
    You certainly have a good foundation with which to pursue other interests. Graduate school engineering is certainly within reason.

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    There are many other physics related options... optics, engineering, oceanography, etc. The only problem is if you are just now considering this you will probably have to wait a year to apply for graduate school since most programs deadlines have passed. This is probably a good thing anyhow as it will give you time to investigate the different options.

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    Depending on the professional governing body's rules in his area, though, a graduate degree in engineering may not permit him to practice as a licensed professional engineer.

Strange as it may seem, some locations (such as Kansas) do require a bachelor's in engineering to become a licensed professional engineer. A higher degree does not suffice. You could conceivably earn a Ph.D. in engineering, yet be unable to become licensed, though I think you could TEACH soon-to-be engineers at an engineering university.

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    do you have an idea of what you want to do?

would you be okay doing something science related, or do you want to get out of this kind of stuff completely?

The advantage physics degreeholders have is that we're generally good at problem solving and math, and a lot of us have hands-on lab and computer programming experience. So there's a lot of options.

7. Apr 21, 2008 #6
    I think you should ask yourself first, what you want to do?

as a Physics degree it has many choices because you get many skill that can work in many field ie. programming math solving problem and systematic thinking.

if you intend to study in a science related, I suggest you may go for an engineer or may be some kind of technologist :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?