Cheap neutron and X-ray detectors, vacuum pumps, and deuterium for student fusion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Urvabara
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fusion students
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Urvabara
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
What is the cheapest possible neutron detector? Are there any cheap detectors (for students)?

What is the cheapest possible X-ray detector?

What is the cheapest possible vacuum pump? How noisy are they? I mean: Does the pumping noise disturb the wall neighbours?

Are there any other ways to tell that the nuclear FUSION reaction has happened except the neutron gain?

How much does deuterium cost? Is it the only possible fusionable matter in the market a student can buy?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I need a vacuum of [tex]10^{-3}[/tex] torrs.

PS. Where can I buy deuterium lump (Pycnodeuterium)? I think it would be more easier to handle than deuterium gas.
 
Out of curiosity may I ask you; why do you want to buy the stuff??
 
Nomy-the wanderer said:
Out of curiosity may I ask you; why do you want to buy the stuff??

Do you know Fusor? It's possible to build one, even high school kids have.
 
Maybe you should ask a member of staff at your institution to supervise a group intending to build a inertial electrostatic confinement (IEC) nuclear fusion reactor, otherwise known as a "fusor". You might get a little funding.

I had a look at fusor.net and don't really like the cut of their jib - it sounds like their trying to sell IEC fusion as the true product (a bit like those bogus adverts on the telly for rubbish kitchen appliances with not one, two, but three free gifts; plus a set of steak knives ;-) ). And also they seem to be trying to undermine the efforts of the funded science community who are endeavouring to supply nuclear fusion as civilian power source, as if they have a chip on their shoulder about magnetic confinement being chosen over IEC designs.

A fusor project would be worthwhile, I think. You'd learn a lot and have a lot of fun putting it together. Good luck!