1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Future career path with this combo, is it possible?

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    I'm still in high school but I was wondering if there are any fields or industries that make intensive use of Astronomy, Physics and Computer Science. I'm really interested in all three but I can't think of any job that makes extensive use of all three. The closest I got was thinking about modelling astronomical stuff like star clusters, but then you're not relying so much on Physics. Obviously I could be very wrong here since I have almost no idea of what goes on there, just hoping someone can paint me a clearer picture :)

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Seeing as how you're still in high school I wouldn't worry too much about defining a career path at this point, and instead, concentrate on pursuing the subjects you're interested in. As you get into university, you may find that your interests change, or that you have strengths in some areas over others.

Any astrophysical research or space science will draw heavily on the fields you've mentioned. You could think about the satellite communications industry, careers in academia, space weather, etc.

And modeling astrophysical stuff does rely on physics -- especially when you do it correctly, (I tend not to make use of emoticons, however, this might be a good place to imagine a winky face).

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the insight Choppy ;)

And yeah, just hope my interests don't change too much in the next 2 years or so, already went through a few transformations recently so it's been a little worrying xD

I guess I can leave this on the back burner for now, seeing as I got a couple more years, was just curious if there was anything that makes extensive use of them three.

Thanks again, and hopefully one day you'll make use of emoticons instead of leaving us to imagine it there ;P

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4
    You can be a theoretical astrophysicist who does mostly computational work. That could involve a fair amount of CS.

6. Jun 2, 2010 #5
    Choppy you sound like a professional.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook