Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FYI: Linguistics is a science - not a social science.

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    I figured I'd let you know.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Linguistics does fall under social science. I'm not sure what you are trying to say. There can be a cognitive science aspect, but overall, it falls under social science.

http://linguistics.cornell.edu/undergraduate/what_is_linguistics.cfm

4. Jan 23, 2014 #3
    Ah, it seems you're right. I saw "scientific study of language" in Wikipedia and thought it was a science.

5. Jan 23, 2014 #4

Evo

If you want, you can point out that "psychology" is listed under "Medical Science" when it's actually a "social science".

6. Jan 23, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sounds like a place you really really don't want to go to, unless you are playing a victim in a horror movie :smile:

7. Jan 23, 2014 #6

Evo

:tongue: It was a dark and scary night, I was at the crossroads of humanities and sociology, and an unshakeable feeling of dread overcame me...

8. Jan 24, 2014 #7

Ryan_m_b

Social sciences are still sciences, the clue is in the name.

9. Jan 24, 2014 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, in the sense that "creative accounting" is about being creative.

10. Jan 27, 2014 #9

Ryan_m_b

Are you suggesting that the social sciences should not be considered science? As they involve the collection of data and the formation and testing of hypotheses I can't see how anyone cod make that claim. Sure it's far easier to conduct an experiment in the natural sciences but that's no reason to discount them altogether. A lot of SS work is incredibly stringent with a high utility.

11. Jan 27, 2014 #10
  12. Jan 27, 2014 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not what I wrote. But I am suggesting that your argument "X is a science, because it's name contains the word 'science' " is nonsense.

If you disagree, convince me that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_science is a science.

13. Jan 28, 2014 #12

Ryan_m_b

Ah I see. I was being flippant in my first post, not literally arguing that names are the be all and end all.

14. Jan 28, 2014 #13
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook