Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FYI: Linguistics is a science - not a social science.

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    I figured I'd let you know.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Linguistics does fall under social science. I'm not sure what you are trying to say. There can be a cognitive science aspect, but overall, it falls under social science.

http://linguistics.cornell.edu/undergraduate/what_is_linguistics.cfm

4. Jan 23, 2014 #3
    Ah, it seems you're right. I saw "scientific study of language" in Wikipedia and thought it was a science.

5. Jan 23, 2014 #4

Evo

If you want, you can point out that "psychology" is listed under "Medical Science" when it's actually a "social science".

6. Jan 23, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sounds like a place you really really don't want to go to, unless you are playing a victim in a horror movie :smile:

7. Jan 23, 2014 #6

Evo

:tongue: It was a dark and scary night, I was at the crossroads of humanities and sociology, and an unshakeable feeling of dread overcame me...

8. Jan 24, 2014 #7

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Social sciences are still sciences, the clue is in the name.

9. Jan 24, 2014 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, in the sense that "creative accounting" is about being creative.

10. Jan 27, 2014 #9

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you suggesting that the social sciences should not be considered science? As they involve the collection of data and the formation and testing of hypotheses I can't see how anyone cod make that claim. Sure it's far easier to conduct an experiment in the natural sciences but that's no reason to discount them altogether. A lot of SS work is incredibly stringent with a high utility.

11. Jan 27, 2014 #10
  12. Jan 27, 2014 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not what I wrote. But I am suggesting that your argument "X is a science, because it's name contains the word 'science' " is nonsense.

If you disagree, convince me that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_science is a science.

13. Jan 28, 2014 #12

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ah I see. I was being flippant in my first post, not literally arguing that names are the be all and end all.

14. Jan 28, 2014 #13
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook