G Magnitude to V magnitude stars in a CCD

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter joseamck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ccd Magnitude Stars
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
joseamck
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I have astronomical images taken using a CCD camera and telescope using a g filter. In the images I have stars with what is called instrumental magnitudes (from the photon count in each pixel). My question is if there is a way to change this g instrumental magnitude to a real V magnitude.

I have found this:
V = g - 0.03 - 0.42*(g-r)

from
Windhorst, R. W., et al. 1991, ApJ, 380, 362
and http://www.astro.umd.edu/~ssm/ASTR620/mags.html

This is telling me that I needed to have used an r filter on the same images. Is there another way to find the V magnitudes of the stars by only having images taken with a g filter?


Thank you
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not, with any precision. It would help if you told us what your background in photometry is?
 
does it matter what the background is if all images were taken with a g filter? I don't understand the question.
 
When I say "your background in photometry" I'm talking about your personal prior knowledge about the topics covered in the scientific field of photometry.
 
Since the two filters have different wavelength bands, the conversion will depend on the color of the object. That is why you need two different measurements with two different filters to do a conversion. You might find this paper useful. Figure 1 shows the comparison of the filter bands.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person