Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Magnitude Calculation, How?

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

Glad to be a new member of this superb forum :)

In one of my physics classes, I have to construct an H-R Diagram. Now, this does not seems too challenging, and I'm sure it isn't.

I was wondering if someone could kindly guide me in the right direction without giving me an exact answer.

So basically, I have been given some info about a star cluster. I have been given measurements taken through blue and yellow filters and told that the top of the main sequence is at B-V = 0.50 and V = 23.48 and bottom at B - V = 2.74 and V = 23.08.

You see, the B and V values are apparent magnitudes. The way I understand HR diagrams, they require absolute magnitudes. I haven't been given any distances to the star cluster, so how can I find an absolute magnitude? The only info I have been given with regards to its location is that it is in the dir'n of a dust cloud in the milky way.

So any recommendations as to how I should approach this. Thanks a lot everyone :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Feb 14, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply!

Actually, it turns out you can use apparent magnitude if the distance of the observed stars is the same.

We can consider the distance to be the same for a star cluster, so there we go - we can use the apparent magnitude.

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook