1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galileo's trial-positive or negative impact?

1. Jun 11, 2007 #1
    Galileo's trial, concerning whether the earth is moving or stationary, is an example of the intense interaction (conflict) between science and religion in the 17th century. Galileo was put into house arrest in 1633 until his death for suggesting that the Earth is moving. Is the interaction between science and religion a positive or a negative thing?

I personally think this interaction may be negative and should avoid interacting because it stopped people from believing in the heliocentric system which is currently shown to be correct and it slowed down the progress and development of science.

What do you think? Any other comments? I just want to get more ideas...Thanks!:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

I've heard that the Galileo situation was more complicated than you state, but I honestly have never gone and done the reading to find out for myself. Have you done much research on this, or are you just going by the 2-sentence description above?

Can you post a link to a more complete description of the situation?

BTW, religious discussions are not allowed here on the PF, so everybody please try to keep the discussion civil, and hopefully based on facts that can be referenced to here so that we can read more than just a 2-sentence summary (that may or may not be accurate).
  4. Jun 11, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Is this a question you are supposed to be writing a paper on?
  5. Jun 11, 2007 #4
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  6. Jun 11, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You neglected to answer Russ's question. Is this a schoolwork-related question? Keep in mind where you posted this - INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS Homework/Coursework forum!

7. Jun 12, 2007 #6
    Yes, history of physics and astronomy
  8. Jun 12, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

we are not historians =P

Physics is the science of energy, matter, forces and so on. History is the science of things that has happen, i.e wars, discoveries and so on..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?