Gallium spoons - how does the human body metabolize gallium?

In summary, this person is concerned about the toxicity of gallium, the cost of gallium, and the possibility that the gallium spoon is not actually made of gallium.
bizzder
hi there, i came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIbYiO5BRYk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIbYiO5BRYk, and before I buy the set I'd like to know how the human body metabolized gallium metal/ions. I've read quite extensively on gallium metal, but I can't find much info on how the body processes gallium. Does anyone have sprecific info on this? what will happen if an amount is swallowed; how much is dissolved in the stomach? thanx!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
"Gallium (Ga) is associated with a relatively low toxicity, but should be handled with care until more health data has been accumulated."

This is from an old MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) floating around here. I believe this is still correct. It does not give me personally the warm fuzzies about using a soft metal (chemists call it a poor metal) as a spoon. Pure Ga will melt in hot food and then react with acids in food. 29.7646 °C is the melting point. This means it will melt in your stomach or your mouth. It will also react slowly with stomach acid (HCl).

Gallium is not known to be an essential micronutrient. So there is earthly reason to ingest it. Even in extremely small quantities. Or flavor your food with it, for that matter.

Metabolic handling of gallium(III) as though it were iron(III), the gallium ion can interact with many processes in the body in which iron(III) particpates. I do not think you want Ga-based hemoglobin in your red blood cells, for example.

See this for an applications of Ga salts in medical research:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18475921

The other point is that pure Ga sells for ~USD100 per gram. I cannot view the video but I think this whole deal sounds fishy, to say the least. I am assuming these spoons are a Ga alloy of some sort, or the spoon would be unuable as a spoon for hot food, else it must have Ga electroplating(?). Otherwise the cost would be astronomical.

Last edited:

1. How does the human body absorb gallium from a spoon?

The human body absorbs gallium through the process of passive diffusion, where the gallium ions move from an area of high concentration (the spoon) to an area of low concentration (the cells in the body). It can also be absorbed through the digestive tract if the spoon is ingested.

2. What happens to gallium once it is absorbed in the body?

Once gallium is absorbed, it enters the bloodstream and is transported to the liver. From there, it is distributed to other tissues and organs in the body, including the bones, muscles, and brain.

3. How does the body metabolize gallium?

Gallium is metabolized by enzymes in the liver, which convert it into gallium citrate. This compound is then excreted through the kidneys and eliminated from the body through urine.

4. Is gallium toxic to the human body?

In small amounts, gallium is not toxic to the human body. However, when ingested in large quantities, it can cause gastrointestinal discomfort and damage to the liver and kidneys. It is important to follow recommended usage guidelines for gallium spoons.

5. Can gallium spoons be safely used in cooking and food preparation?

No, gallium spoons should not be used in cooking or food preparation. While small amounts of gallium are not toxic, the metal can react with certain foods and cause contamination. It is best to use gallium spoons for demonstration or educational purposes only.