Gambling problem/ standard deviation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of standard deviation and Chebyshev's inequality to analyze data from online gambling sites and determine the likelihood of winning or losing money. The formula presented suggests that there is an 80% chance that the possible values of winnings will fall within a certain range, with a normal distribution being used as an example. The conversation also touches on using different distributions for this analysis.
misu200
Read gambling problem/Standard deviation
Posted: May 23, 2007 4:57 AM
Click to edit this message... Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text Click to reply to this topic Reply

I'm analyzing some data from online gambling sites.I'm trying to prove they are stealing the customers.
I'm not an expert in math ...just having "common sense" knowledge.

Here is the problem I need to solve:

I have a series of N independent event where I have a chance ( W ) to win some money ( P )

At the end of day my mathematical expectation is :
E= sum after i (W*P)

In reality I will have won R dollars after these N independe events.

If N is big then R and E should converge somehow.

Is it possible to apply here some Standard deviation/Chebyshev's inequality/Weighted standard deviation to get some statistical interpretation about this?

I would really like a formula that will say to me something like this:
There is a 80% chance that the possible values of R to be in (E-x,E+x) range.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume R is distributed F (e.g. the normal distribution, even as an approximation). Normalize E = 0. Then you can calculate the probability R in (E-x, E+x) = (-x, x) as prob(-x,x) = 1 - 2F(-x). You can also solve for x* such that 1 - 2F(-x*) = 0.8.

F doesn't have to be the normal. This approach will work for other distributions as well.

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
Assume R is distributed F (e.g. the normal distribution, even as an approximation). Normalize E = 0. Then you can calculate the probability R in (E-x, E+x) = (-x, x) as prob(-x,x) = 1 - 2F(-x). You can also solve for x* such that 1 - 2F(-x*) = 0.8.

F doesn't have to be the normal. This approach will work for other distributions as well.

Thanks. I will try to apply what you said.

Until now I've tried to use http://www-minos.phyast.pitt.edu/disdocs/weightsd.pdf"

with the weights being W(i):
w(i)=W(i)

and x(i) to be the outcome at the moment t(i)
x(i) = {
0, if you loose
P(i),if you won
}but probable that's not good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Example:
F is the uniform dist. over [-1,1]. Then F(x) = (x+1)/2.

1 - 2F(-x*) = 1 - 2(-x*+1)/2 = 1 - (-x*+1) = 0.8 ===> x* = 0.8.

1. What is a gambling problem?

A gambling problem, also known as problem gambling or compulsive gambling, is a type of impulse control disorder where an individual is unable to resist the urge to gamble, despite negative consequences or a desire to stop. This can result in significant financial, social, and emotional problems.

2. What is standard deviation in gambling?

In gambling, standard deviation is a measure of how much the results of a particular game or bet vary from the expected outcome. It is a statistical concept that helps to determine the level of risk involved in a particular game or betting strategy. A game with a high standard deviation has more variability in its outcomes, making it riskier, while a game with a low standard deviation has more predictable outcomes.

3. How is standard deviation calculated in gambling?

To calculate standard deviation in gambling, you need to know the expected value (EV) and the probability of each possible outcome. The formula for standard deviation is the square root of the sum of each outcome's squared difference from the expected value, multiplied by its probability. This calculation can help players determine the level of risk involved in a particular game or betting strategy.

4. Can standard deviation help in managing a gambling problem?

While standard deviation can provide valuable information about the risk involved in gambling, it is not a reliable tool for managing a gambling problem. Problem gambling is a complex issue that involves more than just understanding the statistical odds of a game. Seeking professional help and implementing responsible gambling strategies is the best way to manage a gambling problem.

5. Is there a link between standard deviation and addiction in gambling?

There is no direct link between standard deviation and addiction in gambling. Standard deviation is a statistical measure, while addiction is a psychological disorder. However, problem gambling can lead to addiction, and understanding the risks involved in gambling, including standard deviation, can help individuals make more informed decisions and potentially prevent addiction from developing.