Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Game theory teaches robots how to deceive

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    I came across an article in the "Electronics Weekly" titled Game theory teaches robots how to deceive

It asks, "Are there ethical issues in teaching robots to lie?

Yes and no. Why can't robots learn how to lie? We do it all the time.

Since robots will have to deal with humans and work with them, and humans lie; so it is in their best interests for robots to learn how to deceive, to dodge questions and lie.

What do you say?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2
    Why are we concerned about robots interests? Aren't they interested in whatever we program them to be?

4. Sep 12, 2010 #3
    In this article, the robots "evolved" to conceal, to deceive because of scarcity of food.

I like the question posted in the comments section:

5. Oct 10, 2010 #4
    Well the reason that's interesting is because they've been programmed to 1) Interpret the humans' strict dominant strategy and react by choosing all but one play (which would normally have been to compliment the strategy) and 2) Make a series of decisions to compliment the humans' strategy and then generating a response seemingly at random as long as it blocks the opponent from success. That means it's been programmed to sabotage the opponent right after their last move before a win.

Typically the winning strategy for computer programs is the copy the opponents move, eye for an eye type of thing. What they've done is pretty clever and suggests a breakthrough in AI, I think. It's not "unethical", it's winning. That's what the creation of AI was meant for, right? Most game theory models are designed around the assumptions that all players are rational and self-interest is their driving force. This model opens up the possibility of predicting moves played by irrational opponents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook