Gamma matrices and Gell-Mann's I - Y categorization

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of gamma matrices in the SU(3) group used in QCD. Gell-Mann's use of only two gamma matrices, ##\gamma_3## and ##\gamma_8##, was shown to be effective in defining quantities like charge and mass for mesons and baryons. The coordinate of ##uud## was determined to be ##[\frac{1}{2}, 1]## using these two fundamental definitions. The remaining question is what the other unused gamma matrices, ##\gamma_1, \gamma_2, \gamma_4, \gamma_5, \gamma_6, \gamma_7##, represent and what further categorizations can be
James1238765
TL;DR Summary
What do the gamma matrices aside from ##\gamma_3 (I)## and ##\gamma_8 (Y)## represent in SU(3)?
As there was quite rightly some criticism earlier about not following proper theory, I will first demonstrate what I have understood of the gamma matrices of SU(3).

There are 8 gamma matrices that together generate the SU(3) group used in QCD. Gell-Mann used only 2, ##\gamma_3## and ##\gamma_8##, to great effect, by defining:

$$ I = \frac{1}{2} \gamma_3 =
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & -\frac{1}{2} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix} $$
and
$$ Y = \frac{1}{2\sqrt3} \gamma_8 =
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{3} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \frac{1}{3} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -\frac{2}{3}
\end{bmatrix}
$$

These two definitions of Y and I completely determine all the following classifications for mesons and baryons:
8237563.png
23i45u32yt.png

For instance, by first defining ##uud## as:

$$ uud =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
0 \\
\end{bmatrix} +
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
0 \\
\end{bmatrix} +
\begin{bmatrix}
0 \\
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
1 \\
\end{bmatrix}$$

we obtain

$$
I(uud) =
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & -\frac{1}{2} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}

\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
-\frac{1}{2} \\
\end{bmatrix} =

1 - \frac{1}{2} + 0 = \frac{1}{2}$$

and

$$
Y(uud) =
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{3} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \frac{1}{3} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -\frac{2}{3}
\end{bmatrix}

\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{2}{3} \\
\frac{1}{3} \\
\end{bmatrix} =
\frac{2}{3}+\frac{1}{3}+0 = 1$$

Thus, the coordinate of ##uud## is ##[\frac{1}{2}, 1]##. All other elements are checked to be mapped correctly into the graph above.

From these 2 fundamental ##I## and ##Y## definitions, dependent quantities like charge and mass can be constructed as follows:

$$ Q = I + \frac{Y}{2}$$
$$ M = a_0 + a_1 Y + a_2 (I(I+1) - \frac{Y^2}{4})$$

for some constant ##a_0, a_1## and ## a_2##.

This allowed for the prediction of a new particle ##sss##, which were later discovered having the correctly predicted mass. This ##I - Y## categorization of the particles was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1969.

This is where many presentations end on Gell-Mann's categorization. My question is, given that there are 6 more thus far unused basis of SU(3), ##\gamma_1, \gamma_2, \gamma_4, \gamma_5, \gamma_6, \gamma_7##, what do each of these gamma matrices represent, and what further categorizations can be achieved by employing these other matrices aside from ##\gamma_3## and ##\gamma_8##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are mixing SU(3) flavor and SU(3) color, two different symmetries. SU(3) flavor is an (approximate) global symmetry and SU(3) color is an exact local (gauge) symmetry.

It is still not clear to me, what you really want to know. Do you want to know about SU(3) and Gell-mann matrices in hadron physics or in QCD?

Likes topsquark, James1238765 and vanhees71
@malawi_glenn thank you. It felt quite odd when the Intro to QCD presentations all talked about u, d, s. So there are two symmetries for color and flavor. What happens now that there are 6 quarks u,d, s, c, t, b?

James1238765 said:
What happens now that there are 6 quarks u,d, s, c, t, b?
Then flavor SU(N) is no longer approriate to describe Hadron states.
b.t.w top quarks do not form bound states, they live too short.
SU(3) global flavor symmetry is used to (approximate) the lightest hadrons, because u d and s quarks are "much" lighter than the QCD-condensation mass/energy scale.

James1238765 said:
It felt quite odd when the Intro to QCD presentations
which ones?

Likes topsquark and James1238765
I think the OP is only looking at the (approximate) flavor symmetry SU(3), i.e., Gell-Mann and Zweig's "eightfold way".

The idea is to group the hadrons (mesons and baryons) according to the representations of SU(3). What you call ##\gamma## matrices is usually called the ##\lambda## matrices (not to confuse them with the Dirac ##\gamma## matrices of the ##(1/2,0) \oplus (0,1/2)## representation of the Poincare group, used to describe spin-1/2 fermions.

Since SU(3) is a compact semisimple Lie group you can one-to-one map its representations to the unitary representations of its Lie algebra su(3), which in the fundamental representation are spanned by the 8 Gellmann matrices ##\lambda_k##, out of which two are commuting, which are ##\lambda_3## and ##\lambda_8##. There are no more linearly independent matrices out of su(3) that commute with these two. So you have two additive charge-like quantum numbers, denoting the isospin (the eigenvalues of ##\lambda_3/2## from the su(2) sub-algebra spanned by ##\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,\lambda_3 \}##) and "hypercharge" (the eigenvalues of ##Y##).

The fundamental representation ##\textbf{3}## belongs to the quarks, its conjugate complex representation ##\bar{\textbf{3}}## to the anti-quarks (these two three-dimensional representations are not equivalent in contradistinction to the more familiar SU(2)), and you can get all representations by tensor products of these two fundamental representations, which can be decomposed in the irreducible ones.

• Love
Likes topsquark, PeterDonis, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
@vanhees71 thank you. The spelled-out names and properties are really helpful to learn/check on.

Greiners book on "quantum mechanics symmetries" is a good reference if you can borrow it from a library.

OP also mentioned gluons (in their other recent thread). Are you still interested in that?

Likes topsquark and James1238765
James1238765 said:
many presentations
What presentations? Please give specific references.

Likes topsquark, James1238765 and malawi_glenn
By showing your references, we can help further explain and help your lack of misunderstanding

Likes topsquark
@malawi_glenn @PeterDonis thank you. I watched plenty of presentations, it was a sort of amalgam of the parallel derivations. I think i shall try to look into the SU(3) group for gluons next.

James1238765 said:
I watched plenty of presentations, it was a sort of amalgam of the parallel derivations.
So which presentations? You need to at least give us some references.

Likes topsquark
James1238765 said:
These two definitions of Y and I completely determine all the following classifications for mesons and baryons
Where do the diagrams you posted come from?

Likes topsquark
PeterDonis said:
So which presentations? You need to at least give us some references.
PeterDonis said:
Where do the diagrams you posted come from?
@James1238765 apart from the fact that references should always be given here upon request, there are two other reasons you need to respond to these questions: first, the description you give in the OP is questionable, so we need to know where it came from; second, the images you posted in the OP might be under copyright, in which case you shouldn't be posting them, you should be linking to the source.

Likes topsquark
@PeterDonis The links I remembered are:

(the diagrams)

and some pdf papers (I could not remember all).

If you are wondering about the explicit matrix calculations, I did them myself as a test and found all the elements to map correctly. The sum ## 1 - \frac{1}{2} + 0## of the vector components is invented.

James1238765 said:
If you are wondering about the explicit matrix calculations, I did them myself as a test and found all the elements to map correctly.
That's just luck because the matrices are diagonal. What is actually going on is not what you calculated.

James1238765 said:
The sum ## 1 - \frac{1}{2} + 0## of the vector components is invented.
Please be advised that personal theories are off limits at PF. You can't just "invent" things.

Likes topsquark
@PeterDonis RE the many entanglement questions permeating.

James1238765 said:
The links I remembered are
What about the images you posted in the OP?

James1238765 said:
If you are wondering about the explicit matrix calculations, I did them myself as a test and found all the elements to map correctly.
In the OP you say Gell-Mann used the ##\lambda_3## and ##\lambda_8## matrices (I use those symbols instead of the ones you used in the OP for reasons that were posted earlier) to generate the ##I_3## - ##Y## classification. Where did you get that from? Please give a reference. It's not in any of the videos you referenced, as far as I can tell.

Likes topsquark
@PeterDonis I meant that most questions/posts being asked are already superimposing personal understanding (or "invented theories" if you will), and asking for clarification. If the understanding is not correct, I believe it is sufficient to point out the factual errors, and reasons why this formulation is not correct...

James1238765 said:
I meant that most questions/posts being asked are already superimposing personal understanding (or "invented theories" if you will), and asking for clarification.
Asking questions about your personal understanding of some aspect of standard physics is one thing. That's fine here.

Making up your own calculations and then asking questions about them as if they were part of standard physics is quite another, and is not fine here, it's off limits. And that is what you are doing.

Likes topsquark
After moderator discussion, this thread will remain closed.

Likes topsquark

1. What are gamma matrices?

Gamma matrices are mathematical objects used in quantum mechanics to represent the spin of particles. They are a set of matrices that satisfy a specific algebraic relationship and are used to describe the behavior of fermions.

2. How are gamma matrices related to Gell-Mann's I - Y categorization?

Gell-Mann's I - Y categorization is a way of organizing the different types of particles based on their isospin and hypercharge. Gamma matrices are used to represent the spin of these particles, which is one of the properties used in the categorization system.

3. Why is Gell-Mann's I - Y categorization important?

Gell-Mann's I - Y categorization is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of different particles. It allows us to classify particles into groups and predict their interactions with other particles.

4. Can gamma matrices be used for particles other than fermions?

No, gamma matrices are specifically used for fermions. Bosons, which have integer spin, are described using different mathematical objects called gauge bosons.

5. How do gamma matrices relate to the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons. Gamma matrices are used in the Dirac equation to represent the spin of these particles and are essential for solving the equation and understanding the behavior of fermions.