Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Gauge anomalies (and cancellations)

1. Oct 15, 2017 #1
    Hey all
    As usual I can get through the specifics of calculations on books but the big picture escapes me. I'm having difficulty understanding gauge anomalies and cancellations. To be more specific, every book I read talks about Feynman diagrams, giving the impression that gauge anomalies are a perturbative phenomena. On the other hand, the anomaly seems to come from a symmetry of the lagrangian on chiral theories, and I don't see anything perturbation-specific there.

I'd appreciate any help, indlucing some interesting references on the subject.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2017 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

The point is that an "anomalous" symmetry is a symmetry which is a symmetry of the classical model but not of the quantum model. So nonperturbatively, you won't see any symmetry at all.

4. Oct 18, 2017 #3
    Just to be clear. When you say classical model and quantum you are referring to the Lagrangian symmetries and the usual quantization procedures, or equivalently tree-level and higher order diagrams, right? And in a hypothetical scenario, if we could study this system in, say, a lattice there would be no symmetry to be broken in the first place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted