Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gcd(a,b,c)lcm(a,b,c)=abc => a,b,c relatively prime in pairs

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    Claim: If gcd(a,b,c)lcm(a,b,c) = abc, then gcd(a,b)=gcd(b,c)=gcd(a,c)=1.

I'm trying to understand why this is true...
    How can we prove it?

Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    Start by the prime factorizations of a,b and c, then use the expressions for the gcd and lcm in terms of these.

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    What do you mean?
    I've written out the prime factorizations of a,b, and c. But I don't know what to do next...

5. Apr 12, 2010 #4
    If the prime factorizations of a, b and c are:

[tex]a=2^{e_1}3^{e_2}\cdots p^{e_i}[/tex]

[tex]b=2^{f_1}3^{f_2}\cdots p^{f_i}[/tex]

[tex]c=2^{g_1}3^{g_2}\cdots p^{g_i}[/tex]

(If a particular prime factor doesn't appear in the factorization, its exponent is zero)

Then you should know that:

[tex]gcd\left(a,b,c\right)=2^{min \left\{e_1,f_1,g_1\right\}}3^{min \left\{e_2,f_2,g_2\right\}}\cdots p^{min\left\{e_i,f_i,g_i\right\}}[/tex]

And:

[tex]lcm\left(a,b,c\right)=2^{max \left\{e_1,f_1,g_1\right\}}3^{max \left\{e_2,f_2,g_2\right\}}\cdots p^{max\left\{e_i,f_i,g_i\right\}}[/tex]

Now plug these in your equality and see what must happen for the exponents to agree.

6. Apr 12, 2010 #5
    I think we'll then have min{ei,fi,gi}+max{ei,fi,gi}=ei+fi+gi, but why does this imply gcd(a,b)=gcd(b,c)=gcd(a,c)=1?

7. Apr 13, 2010 #6
    For a given i, what must happen to the ei's, fi's and gi's for that equality to be true? For example, can they all be > 0?

8. Apr 25, 2010 #7

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Use that [tex]\text{gcd}(a,b,c)=\text{gcd}(\text{gcd}(a,b),c)[/tex], and likewise for [tex]\text{lcm}[/tex]. Also, the fact that [tex]\text{gcd}(a,b)\text{lcm}(a,b)=ab[/tex] might come in handy. You can extract a lot of information from the equation using this, and you do not have to go the way through their respective prime factorizations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook