1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geiger and Marsden experiment. How did they create a vacuum?

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1

1st

Hi, I would just like to know how did Geiger and Marden create a vacuum for alpha particles during the Rutherford scattering experiment? Also, when Rutherford discovered the alpha particle did he know it had +2e charge?

Any help would be appreciated. I've looked everywhere for the answers but can't find them anywhere :(

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I couldn't find out how they created the vacuum, but I suspect they just used a normal vacuum pump. It's not exotic technology, considering that it was invented in 1650.

As for the alpha particles, he used a mass spectrometer to measure their charge to mass ratio. Since he got 0.5e/amu, he guessed that they were helium nuclei. To prove that they were actually helium nuclei, he trapped the ions, neutralized them, and analyzed the spectrum. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particle#History_of_discovery_and_use

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook