General form of fourth rank isotropic tensor with rotations

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LuccaP4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Isotropic Tensor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
LuccaP4
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
I have this statement:

Find the most general form of the fourth rank isotropic tensor. In order to do so:
- Perform rotations in ## \pi ## around any of the axes. Note that to maintain isotropy conditions some elements must necessarily be null.
- Using rotations in ## \pi / 2 ## analyze the non-zero elements. Note that after discarding the shape of the tensor can be reduced to:
## T_{lmno}=\alpha\delta_{lm}\delta_{no}+\beta\delta_{ln}\delta_{mo}+\gamma\delta_{lo}\delta_{mn}+\chi\delta_{lmno} ##​
## \alpha ##, ## \beta ##, ## \gamma ##, ## \chi ## are constants
- Using an infinitesimal rotation prove that ## \chi=0 ##.

Can anyone recommend me some bibliography so I can solve this? I don't find this way to obtain the tensor in my textbooks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have given way too much background information. Try to remove some and then ask your question, otherwise no one will be able to answer.