A General formula for lenses without spherical abberation

• Thread starter mfb
  • Start date
Summary
Solution to a long-standing problem: How to make lenses without spherical abberation?
Publication: Rafael G. González-Acuña and Héctor A. Chaparro-Romo, "General formula for bi-aspheric singlet lens design free of spherical aberration," Appl. Opt. 57, 9341-9345 (2018)
Open access preprint: arXiv

Given one surface of a lens, how does the other surface has to look like to avoid spherical abberation? A question as old as the design of lenses. Computers found numerical approximations but an analytic expression is new. Just use this handy formula:

formula.png

Wow this is quite cool. It’s funny how there are still physics problems hanging out there that have been pretty much forgotten except by those in the field.

Very handy, indeed :D My hat's off to whomever typed that out, holy mother of ..

If you look into the expression there are many repeated elements. Replace them by other symbols and the equation gets more handy already. The preprint doesn't have the formula and I don't have access to the full publication (not even the usual approaches work) so the image is all I have.