General Physics 2 vs Modern Physics

In summary, the speaker is finishing their general physics 2 course and will begin their upper division courses in the Fall. They ask about the difficulty of general physics 2 compared to intermediate modern physics. The speaker found general physics 2, which covered introductory E&M, more difficult than physics 1 but generally straightforward. After general physics 2, the speaker will take courses on Waves and Optics, followed by Modern Physics on relativity and quanta. Each course becomes progressively more difficult. The speaker acknowledges that one does not need to be a genius to do well in the first three courses, but the fourth course is considered tough. Additionally, optics was also covered in general physics 2.
John Jacke
I'm finishing up my general physics 2 course (today actually) and I begin my upper division courses in Fall. I was wondering how you found general physics 2 compared to intermediate modern physics in terms of difficulty? I found physics 2 (basically introductory E&M at my school) more difficult than physics 1 but generally pretty straightforward.

Physics news on Phys.org
After PHY 2 on E&M comes Waves and Optics and then followed by the Modern Physics on relativity and the quanta as such. At least that's how I remember it. Each course gets more and more difficult, as would be expected. Now you don't gave to be genius to get a fairly good handle on the first three, but on the fourth, ...tough stuff.

Optics was also covered in Physics 2. So I'm basically about to begin the "tough stuff."

1. What is the difference between General Physics 2 and Modern Physics?

General Physics 2 is a continuation of the concepts and principles introduced in General Physics 1, focusing on topics such as electricity, magnetism, and optics. Modern Physics, on the other hand, is a branch of physics that deals with the study of phenomena at the atomic and subatomic level, including quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. Do I need to take General Physics 2 before Modern Physics?

It is recommended to take General Physics 2 before Modern Physics as it provides the foundational knowledge and understanding necessary to grasp the concepts in Modern Physics. However, some universities may allow students to take Modern Physics without taking General Physics 2.

3. What topics are covered in General Physics 2?

General Physics 2 typically covers topics such as electricity, magnetism, circuits, optics, waves, and thermodynamics. It also involves problem-solving and mathematical applications related to these topics.

4. Is Modern Physics more difficult than General Physics 2?

Modern Physics can be more challenging for some students as it deals with abstract concepts and theories. However, it also depends on the individual's interests and strengths. Some students may find Modern Physics more interesting and easier to understand than General Physics 2.

5. How are General Physics 2 and Modern Physics applicable in real life?

Both General Physics 2 and Modern Physics have significant applications in our daily lives. Many modern technologies, such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment, rely on the principles of physics. Understanding these concepts can also help us comprehend and appreciate the world around us.