General Solution To Three Simultaneous Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a general solution for a specific set of three simultaneous equations, with the suggestion of using Gaussian elimination and pivot swapping to avoid dividing by zero. The task was made easier with the use of LibreOffice Math for typesetting.
DavidZuccaro
I herewith submit for reference, review and comment the general solution to 3 simultaneous equations as follows:

sim1.png

sim2.png

sim3.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Lot of work plus a lot of typesetting !
I do notice that you have written down a general solution for a not so general set of three equations in three unknowns.
Are you familiar with things like inverting a 3x3 matrix? Your matrix has zeros on the diagonal.

Likes DavidZuccaro
BvU said:
Lot of work plus a lot of typesetting !
I do notice that you have written down a general solution for a not so general set of three equations in three unknowns.
Are you familiar with things like inverting a 3x3 matrix? Your matrix has zeros on the diagonal.

I agree, it's a general solution to a specific set of equations :)

Thanks, I thought that there was a simpler way of solving those.

There are several ways of solving a system of linear equations. The most well-known is the "Gaussian elimination" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_elimination). In the general case, you probably need to do a "pivot swapping" for each column to ensure that you do not divide by zero.

The typesetting was not a problem -- all handled by LibreOffice Math. It was easier than writing.

1. What is a general solution to three simultaneous equations?

A general solution to three simultaneous equations is a set of values that satisfy all three equations at the same time. It is a solution that works for any specific set of numbers used in the equations.

2. How do you solve three simultaneous equations?

To solve three simultaneous equations, you can use the elimination method or substitution method. In the elimination method, you manipulate the equations to cancel out one variable, and then solve for the remaining variables. In the substitution method, you solve for one variable in terms of the other two and then substitute that into the other equations to solve for the remaining variables.

3. Can there be more than one general solution to three simultaneous equations?

Yes, there can be more than one general solution to three simultaneous equations. This can happen when there are multiple ways to manipulate the equations to eliminate variables or when the equations are not independent, meaning one equation can be derived from the others.

4. What if one of the equations is missing a variable?

If one of the equations is missing a variable, you can still use the elimination or substitution method to solve for the remaining variables. However, you will only be able to find a general solution for the remaining equations, not for the original three equations.

5. How do you know if a set of values is a general solution to three simultaneous equations?

To know if a set of values is a general solution to three simultaneous equations, you can plug the values into each equation and see if they satisfy all three equations at the same time. If they do, then the set of values is a general solution.