Generalized eigenvectors/eigenvalues

• Thread starter AxiomOfChoice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    generalized
In summary, Mathematica has this command "Eigensystem[{m,a}]", which (to quote their documentation) "gives the generalized eigenvalues and eigenvectors of m with respect to a." I have never encountered this concept before, ever - that there can be eigenvectors of matrices with respect to other matrices. All I have ever come across is that \lambda is a generalized eigenvalue of A with generalized eigenvector \vec x if there exists some p \in \mathbb N such that (A-\lambda I)^p\vec x = 0.
AxiomOfChoice
Mathematica has this command "Eigensystem[{m,a}]", which (to quote their documentation) "gives the generalized eigenvalues and eigenvectors of m with respect to a." I have never encountered this concept before, ever - that there can be eigenvectors of matrices with respect to other matrices. All I have ever come across is that [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a generalized eigenvalue of [itex]A[/itex] with generalized eigenvector [itex]\vec x[/itex] if there exists some [itex]p \in \mathbb N[/itex] such that [itex](A-\lambda I)^p\vec x = 0[/itex].

Can someone please explain what it *means* to be a "generalized eigenvalue or eigenvector" of m with respect to a? Maybe it is related to the concept I mentioned above, but if so, I don't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it is answered in their documentation??

micromass said:
Maybe it is answered in their documentation??

The only thing they provide is some dodgy example: If you let

[tex]
A = \begin{pmatrix} 1. & 2. \\ 3. & 4. \end{pmatrix}, \quad B = \begin{pmatrix} 1. & 4. \\ 9. & 16. \end{pmatrix},
[/tex]

(and they *HAVE* to be decimal entries; if you just put 1 (instead of 1.), you get an error, which just adds to the mystery), then "Eigensystem[{A,B}]" returns the following two complex eigenvalues and two vectors

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
&\{0.25 + 0.193649 I,
0.25 - 0.193649 I\}, \\
&[-0.848472 + 0.0858378 I, 0.498043 + 0.157099 I],\\
&[-0.848472 - 0.0858378 I, 0.498043 - 0.157099 I]
\end{aligned}[/tex]

...huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly a generalized eigensystem is one for which

[tex]Ax = \lambda Bx[/tex]

for given matrices A and B.

EDIT: See here.

A practical application of all this is the vibration of a flexible structure, where A and B represent the stiffness and mass properties. If the matrices are large and sparse (and often also Hermitian and positive semi-definite), solving the generalized eigenproblem is much more efficient than solving the equivalent problem [itex]B^{-1}Ax = \lambda x[/itex], (assuming B is invertible) because [itex]B^{-1}A[/itex] looks like an arbitrary full non-symmetric matrix with no obvious "special properties" to leading to a more efficient solution.

FWIW there are solution procedures that represent [itex]\lambda[/itex] as a ratio of two numbers, with conventions to represent the "indeterminate" or "infinte" eigenvalues and their corresponding vectors. The vectors are well defined and meaningful as the basis vectors of subspaces, even if the corresponding eigenvalues are not so well defined.

1. What are generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues are concepts in linear algebra that extend the traditional eigenvector-eigenvalue relationship to non-diagonalizable matrices. They are used to solve systems of linear equations and analyze the behavior of linear transformations in more complex situations.

2. How are generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues different from regular eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

While regular eigenvectors and eigenvalues are associated with diagonalizable matrices, generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues are associated with non-diagonalizable matrices. They are used to find a complete set of linearly independent vectors for a given eigenvalue, whereas regular eigenvectors only provide a single solution.

3. How do you calculate generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

To calculate generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues, you must first find the characteristic polynomial of the matrix. Then, you can use this polynomial to find the generalized eigenvalues. Once you have the generalized eigenvalues, you can use them to find the corresponding generalized eigenvectors.

4. What is the significance of generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important in linear algebra because they help us understand the behavior of non-diagonalizable matrices. They also allow us to solve systems of linear equations and analyze the behavior of linear transformations in more complex situations.

5. In what real-world applications are generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues used?

Generalized eigenvectors and eigenvalues have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in quantum mechanics, electrical circuit analysis, and image processing, among others. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to identify patterns and relationships in data.