Generalized free fields as dark matter?

In summary, van Hees71 reminds us that The only interpretation of particles is in terms of asymptotic free states, and the observable predictions are in S-matrix elements. This suggests something I've wondered about for a while, whether dark matter might be adequately modeled by generalized free fields, which do not have asymptotic free states. Ray Streater, in Rep. Prog. Phys. 1975 38 771-846, "Outline of axiomatic relativistic quantum field theory" has this account: If the Källén-Lehmann weight function is continuous, there are no particles associated with the corresponding generalized free field. Such a free field clearly exhibits different translation/mass
Peter Morgan
Gold Member
@vanhees71 reminds us that
vanhees71 said:
The only interpretation of particles is in terms of asymptotic free states, and the observable predictions are in S-matrix elements.
which suggests something I've wondered about for a while, whether dark matter might be adequately modeled by generalized free fields, which do not have asymptotic free states. Ray Streater, in Rep. Prog. Phys. 1975 38 771-846, "Outline of axiomatic relativistic quantum field theory" has this account:

upload_2018-4-6_7-43-55.png

upload_2018-4-6_7-44-18.png

[I'd be pleased to know of a clear, more recent reference.]
The really pertinent phrase is "If the Källén-Lehmann weight function is continuous, there are no particles
associated with the corresponding generalized free field". Such a free field clearly exhibits different translation/mass properties than a free field that has a singular mass distribution, and yet as far as local properties of such a generalized free field are concerned, we can introduce a mass distribution that is as close to singular as we like, so that the local behavior, out to many light years, say, would be identical. Of course although we only compute the S-matrix between states at asymptotic separation, we in fact only measure the distribution of events in detectors in high energy experiments at separations up to a few meters (up to hundreds of kilometers for the outliers, neutrinos).
What studies are there of such a suggestion in the dark matter literature?
Is my understanding that unparticles have been suggested (but not successfully) as a model for dark energy correct?

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-6_7-43-55.png
    upload_2018-4-6_7-43-55.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 525
  • upload_2018-4-6_7-44-18.png
    upload_2018-4-6_7-44-18.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 464
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why should generalized free fields describe dark matter? Speculating in the dark about the dark leads nowhere.

Likes dextercioby and Peter Morgan
A. Neumaier said:
Why should generalized free fields describe dark matter? Speculating in the dark about the dark leads nowhere.
I believed I was asking whether anyone has considered whether this speculation might make contact with experiment at least far enough for it to be published. I'm also happy enough to think about the consequences of generalized free fields (and whatever deformations might be introduced thereof) purely as mathematics, which might or might not lead to some connection with local experimental data.
Thanks for your "Introduction to coherent spaces" paper and its pursuants, BTW. Nice math: I like the finite control it emphasizes instead of axiomatically insisting on infinite-dimensional representations of the Poincaré group as a starting point (of course I do: you'll find the same concern, but more implicitly, in the emphasis on manifest invariance under the Poincaré group instead of on representation in my arXiv:1709.06711).

Peter Morgan said:
consequences of generalized free fields (and whatever deformations might be introduced thereof) purely as mathematics
Generalized free fields have no Lagrangian formulation. Hence it is completely unclear how to couple them to the standard model or to general relativity. But coupled to nothing they cannot affect anything, hence cannot be dark matter.

Likes Peter Morgan
A. Neumaier said:
Generalized free fields have no Lagrangian formulation. Hence it is completely unclear how to couple them to the standard model or to general relativity. But coupled to nothing they cannot affect anything, hence cannot be dark matter.
Right. I'm more engaged in constructing deformations of free field Wightman functions, possibly including generalized free fields, what Haag (page 61 of LQP, 2nd Ed.) more-or-less calls a "nonlinear program", for which, speaking loosely, I take Lagrangian methods to produce an asymptotic expansion. In a nonlinear program, coupling, not being presented as an asymptotic expansion, does not take the same form as in a Lagrangian approach. I'm trying to move in different circles, as it were. Whether I will produce anything interesting to anyone else before I die is a question, of course, but semper memento vivere.

1. What are generalized free fields?

Generalized free fields are mathematical representations of particles that are not constrained by any specific physical laws or interactions. They are used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of particles in different scenarios.

2. How do generalized free fields relate to dark matter?

Generalized free fields have been proposed as a potential explanation for dark matter, which is a mysterious and invisible form of matter that is thought to make up a large portion of the universe. By studying the properties of generalized free fields, scientists hope to better understand the nature of dark matter.

3. What evidence supports the idea of generalized free fields as dark matter?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that supports the idea of generalized free fields as dark matter. However, some theoretical models, such as the axion-like particle (ALP) model, suggest that generalized free fields could potentially explain some of the observed properties of dark matter.

4. Are there any experiments or observations being conducted to test the idea of generalized free fields as dark matter?

Yes, there are several experiments and observations being conducted to test the idea of generalized free fields as dark matter. These include searching for signals from dark matter particles in underground detectors, studying the rotation curves of galaxies, and looking for signatures of dark matter in the cosmic microwave background.

5. What are the potential implications if generalized free fields are confirmed as dark matter?

If generalized free fields are confirmed as dark matter, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would provide a new perspective on the nature of dark matter and could potentially lead to the development of new theories and technologies. It could also help us answer long-standing questions about the origin and evolution of the universe.